Tropical Smoothie Cafe serves sweet, healthy treats

On your way home from class or on your way back from the gym, make sure you stop by Tropical Smoothie Café at 650 Lincoln Street. Many workers are students, and the café is a perfect way to stay healthy and cool in the Carolina heat. 

Tropical Smoothie is locally owned by Gamecock fan Dave Duffy and his wife Leslie. This is the third Tropical Smoothie Café they have owned, and they really know the business. This October, they will be teaming up with radio station 93.5 to promote the Kiwi Quencher, a sweet pink smoothie, to raise money and awareness for a local breast cancer charity. 

What makes Tropical Smoothie different than other smoothie chains is that its menu includes food as well. Duffy said the reason he bought the franchise was how much he loved the food. The menu contains vegan, vegetarian and gluten-free options. 

As for its namesake (smoothies), there are a lot of options. They have classic fruit smoothies, SuperFood Smoothies, SuperCharged Smoothies — a possible substitute for a meal — and lastly, Indulgent Smoothies that are more of a dessert. You can add supplements like Energizer, Protein and Fat Burner, or swap out sugar for Splenda or honey to make it your perfect lean smoothie. 

Best-seller and fan favorite, the Island Green, is sure to hit the spot while you’re running to class. What if you’re running late? Just call and order and your fresh treat will be waiting for your arrival.     

Duffy describes the café as fast-casual and a healthy alternative to fast-food chains and college cafeterias. One of the best parts of the café is its location. As USC’s campus grows, 650 Lincoln is conveniently placed right by Greek Village, Strom Thurmond Fitness Center and multiple apartment complexes. 

“It’s just good for you,” Duffy said. “You can tell your mom you’re getting your vegetables at college.”