Boo at the Zoo: a cheap family Halloween event

It’s OK to admit it — Halloween is just as exciting for us now as it was when we were kids, and that’s why USC celebrates it all week long. For those of you zealously awaiting this thrilling week and looking for an excuse to wear your costume, Boo at The Zoo is the perfect event to get you in the holiday spirit.

Riverbanks Zoo & Garden entertains this event annually from October 16th to 30th from 6 to 9 p.m. Admittance costs $8 for members and $10 for the general public, but make sure to buy your ticket ahead of time.

During a visit to Boo at the Zoo, you can enjoy trick-or-treating, magic shows, dance parties and delicious fall snacks. A majority of the zoo-goers are young children dressed in Halloween costumes on a spooky night out with their parents.

Amanda, an employee at the zoo, assured me the food is more than enough to sway even college students to go to Boo at The Zoo.

“The cakes are delicious,” she said.

It’s undeniable that a warm Starbucks hot chocolate is enticing while strolling through the enchanting and mystical “safari.” However, if you're serious about getting the best views of the animals, a visit to the zoo during the day might be a wiser choice — the lighting will be more permitting for sloth-viewing and bird-calling.

If you choose to attend Boo at The Zoo, keep in mind it is a family-oriented event. It might be fun to attend while babysitting, but leave the skimpy cat costumes at home.