Letter to the Editor: On the promise of America

This letter is in response to the column "The promise of America."

“The promise of America” reflected a nostalgic yearning for revitalization of the present day United States through rediscovery of America’s promise.

What is the promise of America? The column seemed to fuse together two ideas about this. Most of the article suggested a promise of accomplishment, which is established when a nation’s citizens join together. The last paragraph proposed Thomas Jefferson’s unalienable rights — life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness – as another promise. While easily associable because protection of life, liberty, etc. preserves communal stability and may foster progress, the two ideas are different. Instead, I think the author was trying to call for renewed national progress based on common values of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

I personally believe this ideal should be for every country; however, this is not what the column argued in its entirety. Instead, it cited “good memories, the ones that make us smile” and our perceived humane images of ourselves as models for our domestic and global actions moving forward. In addition, he goes on to say that “the past isn’t always as great as we remember it to  —  that all eras of human history have been as imperfect as the one we live in today."

"But then why should we not try to create the perfect present based on our selective memories of past?" the column asks. 

I say because it’s counterproductive and potentially dangerous. When you proceed so blindly and so self-righteously, you can impede on an individual’s life, liberty and pursuit of happiness. I think quickly of Cuba, Vietnam, the Philippines and the destruction of North America’s native populations as instances when the United States asserted itself, either because of a misplaced sense of superior values or for economic benefit. 

Our past may never be as flawless as we’d like to proclaim, but without acknowledging our flawed past, can we learn from our mistakes? When we only self-aggrandize, we limit self-improvement.

The column as a whole really displays the omission of shortcomings. The column mentioned the United States’ involvement in the prevention of the use of nuclear weapons, but we still remain the only nation to have ever dropped a nuclear bomb in war. As a result of the civil rights movement, we apparently “ushered in an era of human rights.”  Then why are African-Americans more likely to be selected for capital prosecution?

Our humanitarian accomplishments mean nothing if we don’t continue to address our issues with transparency, accountability and a broader perspective. When you’re human enough to accept your mistakes, more people can identify with you. If you’re looking to inspire unity, this acceptance wouldn’t be a bad place to start.

- Written by Benjamin LaPrise, second-year psychology major