Column: The true essence of Homecoming

Historically, homecoming is an event or week of events that aims to unify alumni and current students to foster a sense of school pride.

The origin of homecoming is contested, but Harvard and Yale claim to have hosted the first homecoming football game. For various high schools and universities, the event has evolved into a weeklong series of pep rallies, community service events, dance competitions, tailgates and, of course, a football game (one which should be a decisive victory). 

With an undergraduate student population of nearly 24,000 students, the University of South Carolina faces challenges with homecoming — mainly inclusiveness and participation. How can USC aim to include everyone and encourage most organizations and individuals to participate?

This year, before considering homecoming points and prizes, the student body had to consider the city. The week prior to homecoming with the theme “There’s No Place Like Carolina,” Columbia was tainted with a devastating natural disaster. Rather than worry so much about the times for the Homecoming Showcase, why didn’t we think of ways the event could create a greater impact on the community?

Inclusivity and participation are the two largest issues with any large-scale event. Do students feel included?

With the step show and other events’ cancellations, some individuals were left feeling slighted or ostracized. NPHC organizations and others decided to withdraw from homecoming this year, so in the future, fewer cancellations and increased advertisements for each event will prove beneficial.

Large Greek organizations are typically involved in homecoming, but how can USC encourage other students to contribute as well? Possibly having fewer events with more marketing for each event would incite freshmen to join. Something as simple as flyers in residence halls can be effective.

The essence of homecoming is unity, and at USC, contacts with alumni are crucial. An event that promotes the connection between alumni and current students would not only be beneficial but vital to their success.

In the future, the focus should be much more on connection rather than competition. After all, USC is our home and we should constantly attempt to improve both its inclusive nature and the experience here for students. As a showcase contestant, I truly enjoyed the event. I simply believe that the first step to action is awareness.