5 Seconds of Summer abandons boyish charm with "Sounds Good Feels Good"

Following in the footsteps of boy band One Direction, 5 Seconds of Summer have taken this nation by storm with their boyish charm and insane vocals.

Though the four Australian boys have been placed in the teeny-bopper genre, they tend to rock by their own standards — black skinny jeans, piercings and tattoos that would scare off any parent.

Now, with the recent release of their second studio album, 5SOS is finally broadcasting just what makes them so different.

“Sounds Good Feels Good," released by Capitol Records, is truly a testament to how strongly these guys want to be taken seriously in the rock world.

Dumping their old pop-punk undertones for a more soft rock sound, 5SOS experiments with a variety of alternative angles. Don’t be expecting any love ballads on this one, ladies.

“Money” starts the album off on an odd note. The beginning of the song features the band whispering about cupcakes, while someone fumbles around on an acoustic guitar in the background. Don't fret though; listeners are then hit with a loud and catchy intro that sets the tone for the rest of the album.

Channeling Blink-182 and My Chemical Romance, “Permanent Vacation" and "Jet Black Heart” hit a dark spot within the album that fans have never heard before.

With lyrics that beg to be understood and a beat that calls for attention, these two songs encompass what the entire album wants to present. 5SOS is still learning, but they have fine-tuned the sound they want to achieve and where they want to go from here.

Though fans of the once-sugarcoated band may be disappointed with their latest album, “Sounds Good Feels Good” deserves a listen. This album makes it obvious the boys want to be taken more seriously as an alternative rock band rather than viewed as a mediocre version of One Direction.

Any preconceived ideas of the band should be left behind before giving this album a listen. 5 Seconds of Summer is changing, and it's certainly for the best.