Column: Republican debate less of a circus

Let me start this column by beginning it, as Marco Rubio might say. 

Tuesday’s Republican debate actually covered substantive issues and only had brief moments of circus-like nonsense. No single candidate emerged as a winner, but the debate seemed to be a victory for most candidates — with the possible exception of John Kasich and Rand Paul.

Beginning with Ben Carson, it was clear that each candidate had a strategy for a successful debate appearance, and the moderators were happy to let them follow their strategies. Throughout the night, Carson demonstrated policy points at the beginning of a segment before disappearing until after the break. By the end of the night, Carson had solidified his position as the front-running outsider candidate — without getting in a dogfight.

Donald Trump was "The Donald" yet again, bringing with him an energetic debate performance. He sparred with Kasich throughout the night, gaining plenty of attention and camera time. He was unafraid to call out winners and losers, as usual. Most importantly, Trump has refined his ability to deliver clear policy points in his own bombastic style.

Rubio strengthened his position as the leading establishment candidate, showing off his rehearsed lines and pivot points. He adequately handled a sparring match with Paul over foreign policy and won applause for his Clinton-bashing in the later portion of the debate.

By the way, Jeb Bush actually made an appearance. While his performance may not have been a slam dunk, it seems as if the Bush candidacy has a pulse. Bush wasn’t shaken after an early interruption by Kasich and delivered a strong early appearance. On foreign policy issues, Bush was able to highlight Trump’s naivety and to share his own stance on the Middle East.

Ted Cruz successfully reaffirmed his position on the far right. Cruz was strong in his opposition to bailing out the banks — and made a strong impression. Most of all, he relished his opportunities to bash Hillary Clinton and attacked her with a prosecutor's precision.

Carly Fiorina had less camera time than usual but was able to capitalize on her appearances. She positioned herself as the staunch anti-Clinton candidate who can win a general election. But Fiorina’s performance waned as the night went on, and her strongest remarks came during the first hour of the debate.

Then there was Paul and Kasich. Kasich seemed to be doing his best Jim Webb impression, interrupting others at any opportunity. This strategy worked well for Kasich until he interrupted Cruz to affirm his position that he would bail out the banks. This garnered Kasich plenty of boos, and he remained largely quiet the rest of the night.

Paul reminded viewers that he was "the only fiscal conservative on stage" but beyond that was not very memorable. In an election year crowded with big-character candidates, Paul’s public speaking style limits him. For much of the debate, he sounded like a lecturing economics professor, and his isolationist stance of foreign policy limits his appeal to the conservative base.

All in all, Tuesday’s debate furthered the status quo.

Carson continued to be your soft-spoken grandfather who only sounds crazy if you actually listen to him. Rubio is still the golden boy for the GOP, as is Cruz for the tea party. Trump re-emerged as a bombastic caricature. Bush, for his part, reminded people that he is still running for president.