Brief: Police continue investigation of Columbiana incident

<p>Police found a backpack containing airsoft guns that may or may not be involved in the incident&nbsp;near the mall.</p>
Police found a backpack containing airsoft guns that may or may not be involved in the incident near the mall.

Columbia police are still trying to determine whether any shots were actually fired in Saturday night's incident at Columbiana Mall, according to WLTX.

The incident occurred on Saturday around 7 p.m. Police reported on Sunday that they were looking for two suspects who fired shots into the air during a confrontation near the food court. No one was injured. The mall remained closed after the incident Saturday night but reopened for regular hours on Sunday.

Police Chief Skip Holbrook said they are still contacting stores in the mall to get security footage that could show what actually happened. Several witnesses told police that they saw two men pull out guns, and on the night of the incident, police reported shots fired, but no witnesses could confirm seeing either suspect discharge his weapon. Police also said they have not found any shell casings.

"We are fully cooperating with the law enforcement authorities and are offering our assistance to help them apprehend the offenders," Columbiana Mall told WLTX. "We pride ourselves on providing a safe and enjoyable experience for all of our guests."

While searching a nearby wooded area, police found a bag that held several airsoft guns. One of the guns looked similar to a .45 caliber handgun, and another looked like an SKS assault rifle. Police have not confirmed if they are connected to the incident.

Police have also contacted businesses surrounding the mall to check their security footage for evidence of the men entering or leaving. Anyone who has information on the shooting is asked to contact Crimestoppers by calling 888-CRIME-SC, texting CRIMES (274-637) a message starting with "TIPSC" or submitting a tip at www.midlandscrimestoppers.com.