Online Exclusive: Rubio talks American Dream, free enterprise alongside Haley

Senator Marco Rubio was joined by Governor Nikki Haley and winningest Gamecock quarterback of all time, Connor Shaw, for a town hall in Chapin on Wednesday night. 

Earlier that day, Nikki Haley announced that she was officially endorsing Rubio leading up to the South Carolina Republican Primary on Saturday. Haley explained her support for Rubio by saying she can relate to the fact that his parents came from Cuba to give their children a better future because her parents did the same thing coming from India.

“My job was to find the person I thought could do it the best, so I wanted somebody with fight. I wanted somebody with passion.  I wanted somebody that had conviction to do the right thing.  But, I wanted somebody humble enough that remembers that you work for all the people, and I wanted somebody that was gonna go and show my parents that the best decision they ever made for their children was coming to America. We say that everyday is a great day in South Carolina. Ladies and gentlemen, if we elect Marco Rubio, everyday will be a great day in America,” Haley said.

Rubio thanked Haley for her support, saying he was honored because she "embodies for me everything I want the Republican Party and conservatism to be about."  He said he has spent a lot of time in South Carolina, loves being here and has learned a lot, including “not to pick sides between USC and Clemson." Rubio also expressed his admiration for Haley and the entire state's handling of recent tragedies.

“Last year, the country learned what an inspiration South Carolina is for all of us. Because, as the governor said, we had a tough year. Between floods and two incredible tragedies that were, any other state, any other communities in the country reacted differently to these things, but this state came together in a way that served as an example to the nation,” Rubio said.

Rubio spent a lot of his speech speaking about the importance of the American Dream to him.

“Now that’s my story but the truth is as Americans, that’s our story. That’s your governor's story. That’s the story of millions and millions of people across two centuries … we are a nation where every generation leaves the next better off than themselves. Both in their families and as a country. And 2016 is a time where we must decide now what kind of country will we leave behind,” Rubio said.

Shaw also expressed his support.

“Marco is a testament to the American dream. He comes from humble beginnings like many of us and believes that no matter where you start, it will not dictate how far you can go. He wants each and every one of us to experience the American Dream, and we should believe him and trust that he will fight each and everyday for a better tomorrow for all Americans,” he said. 

Rubio was passionate in his speech about the need for limited government. “Leave it up to the states because I trust our states and our local communities much more than I trust Congress or the federal government," he said. 

He pointed out this respect for the successes of South Carolina in the private sector.

“I look at the state of South Carolina under the leadership of your Governor and … America needs to be doing what you’re doing here. Why are all these companies moving here? Why is Boen here, and Michellin here and BMW here? Why are they coming? Is it because of your high taxes? No, it’s because you cut taxes. Is it because of your burdensome regulations? N,o it's because you reduce regulations. Is it because your government wants to stick their hands into everything their doing and their business? No, its because you have a governor and you have a leadership that understands that government does not create jobs,” Rubio said.

He brought up the recent death of Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia and its effect on the use of the Constitution in the court system.

“He understood that the Constitution was supposed to be applied according to its original meaning. It is not a living and breathing document that means whatever you want it to mean, and now he’s gone. The next president will replace him and I’m telling you I’m still gonna be in the senate for another year. This president will not get to replace Antonin Scalia,” Rubio said.

Lastly, he discussed foreign threats and the need to build up the military.

“[Obama] is a terrible commander-in-chief … the world is a safer and a better place when America is the strongest military in the world,” Rubio said.

Haley hit her knee on the stage on her way up and added at the end of Rubio's speech, "This is one of many bruises I will take for Marco Rubio. So if I'm going to do that, I need you all to go out on Saturday ... I need to make sure that we have the highest turnout that we have ever had in South Carolina. We make presidents. Let's make Marco Rubio the next president of this United States."