Student Endorsement: John Kasich

Ohio Gov. John Kasich looks on before he speaks at the Clark County Republican Party headquarters on June 11, 2015 in Las Vegas. On July 21, Kasich announced his bid for the Republican presidential nomination. (David Becker/Zuma Press/TNS)

John Kasich is the right candidate for this moment in our nation’s history. He has the proven record, both in government and the private sector, needed to broaden the Republican tent, bring Americans together and restore our nation’s strength.

Kasich served in the House of Representatives for nine terms from 1983 to 2001. During that time, he gained valuable experience serving on the Armed Services Committee, where he was a strong ally of President Reagan. In addition, he functioned as the chairman of the budget committee, where his efforts resulted in balanced federal budgets.

After his tenure on Capitol Hill, Kasich had a successful career in the private sector as managing director at Lehman Brothers Investment Banking Division. He understands how unwarranted and excessive business regulations hurt economic growth.

As the governor of Ohio, a key swing state, Kasich was re-elected by a vast 31-point margin. In Ohio, he worked with Democrats and Republicans to turn an $8 billion "hole" into a $2 billion surplus. The turnaround was fueled by conservative economic policies that resulted in Ohio becoming one of the top job-creating states in the country.

In a race full of extremism and naïveté, Kasich is the only sensible choice. His proven record of taking on unions, advancing conservative economic policies, fighting to limit abortion rights, supporting traditional marriage, limiting the scope of government and bringing power back to the states is one of the most conservative in the country. Furthermore, Kasich also understands the importance and has shown he is in favor of common sense compromises that ultimately improve the lives of Americans.

Simply put, Kasich is a pragmatic leader who will always put governing in front of politics. How refreshing would that be after eight years of President Obama? I am supporting John Kasich, and I encourage you to consider doing the same.