Column: Free speech part of the college experience

Since their inception in the Western world, universities have been the premier centers for higher learning. These advanced schools bring students and intellectuals together to learn and discuss opposing viewpoints, whether they be academic, political, religious or social in nature.

In recent years, this cornerstone philosophy has been under fire from students who feel that views opposing their own should not be heard. Just last week students protested “Trump 2016” graffiti at Emory University because they considered it to represent hateful speech. Last month conservative speaker Ben Shapiro had his event at California State University, Los Angeles nearly shut down by liberal protest groups, who surrounded the building he was speaking in and tried to stop him by pulling a fire alarm. I myself even saw a man complain to police last week about a church group that was following a man dressed as Jesus through campus.

On a smaller scale, students oftentimes end discussions by using ad hominem arguments. These types of arguments remove the intellectual aspect out of a debate and make it personal, thus lowering the breadth of discussion to simply becoming a squabble.

Everyone has the right to free speech and assembly, even if their viewpoints are opposed by others. That is how our democracy, and in the context of a college campus, learning, operates. It is completely against the values of this nation to shut down and censor the views of others because they do not match your particular philosophy.

Instead, challenge them and show them why you think your viewpoint is superior. If you have an opinion on any topic, use your intellect and engage in civilized discourse with an opponent instead of outright silencing them. This is how universities are supposed to work; the idea is to grow your knowledge by learning from others, not to insulate and shield what you currently know from new or opposing ideas.

To have civilized dialogue, you should be prepared to back your viewpoints with facts and experience and be able to question others appropriately. This does not include unnecessary ad hominems. Take, for example, the highly controversial topic of abortion. This really comes down to when you believe life begins, but the attacks used by the pro-life side typically delve into calling people who support choice murderers, and pro-choice advocates in turn refer to pro-life advocates as sexist.

When discourse reaches that point, it simply invalidates the arguments of either party by assaulting their characters. And, typically, neither side changes its opinion but simply becomes angrier and less willing to understand the opposing argument. This effectively puts a stop to effective discussion, and it tramples on the ability of others to feel comfortable in expressing their opinions.

The view that students should embrace free speech and discussion on campus is not an unfounded position. President Obama recently spoke in support of free speech on campus, as have organizations such as the ACLU. The Carolinan Creed also seemingly advocates for at least discussion, a line in it reading “I will discourage bigotry, while striving to learn from differences in people, ideas, and opinions.”

On a daily basis, I find myself debating with others on countless topics. In doing so, I have influenced others' opinions and even changed some of my own. The greatest advantage, however, is that I am exercising my intellect to broaden my understanding of my own and others' opinions.

It is important that we as students support each other’s rights to free speech and learn how to express our differences in civilized, intellectual debates. Doing so not only protects our rights, but allows us to grow and learn as we begin to better argue our viewpoints or adopt better positions.

The first step, simply, is to allow others to speak.