'Peter and the Starcatcher' showcases multifaceted performances

<p>Peter and the Starcatcher is a great play for&nbsp;all to enjoy.</p>
Peter and the Starcatcher is a great play for all to enjoy.

"Peter and the Starcatcher" opened March 11 at the Trustus Theatre in the Vista. The play tells the story of Molly, a Starcatcher, aboard the Neverland ship as she meets three unlikely friends — orphans Prentiss, Ted and no-name Mule. After Molly and the boys become friends, they go off on an adventure of epic, life-changing proportions.

The show features expansive storytelling, whimsical musical numbers and swashbuckling characters to create an experience unlike any other for the audience. The quick speed of the plot adds to the intricacy of the storyline and gives way to a more wondrous atmosphere. With various twists and turns, "Peter and the Starcatcher" is a hit on its own while still providing a great addition to the classic story of Peter Pan.

“It’s a big responsibility because people have this notion of who he is,” said Jonathan Monk, who plays the lead role of Peter. 

Monk explained how he used his experience as a nanny to give a childish flair to his character.

“If you’re doing a show about kids, you should hang around kids and learn from them.”

With only about five weeks of rehearsals, the production offers an exciting challenge to the actors. There are many different theatrical techniques employed by the performers, who each play various roles throughout the show, embodying their love of theatre as an art form. Each actor's intricate attention to detail is present throughout the show.

The director "called me and said ‘We want you to play Sanchez, and Mack, and Gremkin and Fighting Prawn,'" actor Michael Hazin said. "I was like ‘Oh, this is great, I’ll get a chance to do so many different wonderful things and I’ll never have a chance to get bored because I won’t have time.'”

There are many times where the play breaks through the fourth wall so that audience members feel as if they are deeply immersed into the plot.

“I think this character very much is about taking that energy from the audience and playing with it,” said Paul Kaufmann, who plays the role of Black Stache. “I break character just a little bit in order to enhance the connection between me and the audience.”

"Peter and the Starcatcher" will be performed live on Thursdays at 7:30 p.m., Fridays and Saturdays at 8 p.m. and Sundays at 3 p.m. running until April 9. Overall, the show provides a fun, family-friendly and entertaining experience at the Trustus Theatre next to Publix.