Spring break checklist

Spring break is a time to step away from the hectic schedule that comes along with being a college student. With the wonderful week off fast approaching, it is important to plan accordingly for the needs you will face while taking on a week of adventure.

1. Check your schedule before you leave

While this might seem obvious, it’s important to note any deadlines or due dates that could be close to spring break. Remember, it’s only a week off of classes in the middle of the term, which will go by really quickly.

2. If you are fortunate enough to go out of town, prepare for all types of weather when packing

Even if you check the weather forecast before you head out, be sure to pack clothes for all weather conditions. South Carolina is notorious for being sunny one hour and then wet and rainy the next. If nothing else, carry an umbrella. A fun trip can be ruined by the lack of proper clothing.

3. Speaking of packing, if you’re flying to a far-off destination, keep a change of clothes in your carry-on

One of my friends had the opportunity to spend two weeks in Germany. For the plane ride, she wore sweatpants and an obnoxious green oversized sweater. Well, when they landed, it turns out the airline had lost her luggage. They found it, but it took the whole two weeks for them to get it back to her. So, she spent her entire trip with nothing to wear but her pajamas. If nothing else, at least carry a change of underwear. Believe me, it really will make all the difference.

4. Be safe

It can never be said enough: if you plan to venture out to new places, keep your personal safety in mind. Give at least one person who is not going on the trip where you plan to stay and when you plan to return. Also, during your daily adventures, be aware of your surroundings.

5. Make a conscious effort to relax

For some of you, spring break is a time to catch up or get ahead on school work, but don’t forget that it is meant to be a break for you. This means that, even if you spend six of the seven days thinking about school, you give yourself at least one day of relaxation. Plan to have it in either the beginning or middle of the week so there is no pressure of upcoming classes.

6. Give yourself enough time to get back into the school mentality

It’s easy to fall out of the routine of school, but even more difficult to bounce back into it. Plan out enough time to put all your ducks in a row the night before so that getting back to school goes as smoothly as possible.

7. Lastly, have fun

Whether you plan on a staycation, road trip or full-on adventure to a new part of the country — or another country altogether — just enjoy yourself. The stories made over spring break can become some of the best memories from your college years. There are many ways to have fun, so don’t be afraid to try new things and make memories.