Column: Don't waste your summer

If you’re a college student reading this, chances are you’ve already heard a lot about not wasting your summer. You probably know that you should be working, or taking part in an internship or studying abroad right now.

Of the three, chances are you’re working. Well, good for you. Money is certainly important, as is paying for college — which of course requires money. But working typically does not consume all your waking hours, and if you’re from anywhere in the South, you spend a lot of your remaining time inside due to the heat. If you are a college student, it is statistically likely that you spend a large chunk of your leisure hours on TV and social media.

I have previously written about the dangers of consuming such modern media to the exclusion of older forms, but I’m not trying to preach here. Rather I would offer an exhortation for you to use your vacation time wisely on activities you may think you don’t have time for during the school year.

Some of these might be things that you tell yourself you really would do if you had the time; with others you may just be using your busy schedule as an excuse not to do them. Either way, the summer stretches ahead of you, with significantly fewer external restrictions and demands on your time than the school year. The main obstacle holding you back from productive uses of spare time is your own lack of effort.

How could you be more productively using your free time? You probably have one or more ways in mind as you read this, like starting to eat better, working out, spending more time outdoors, learning or practicing an instrument or reading more books. Though you may be spending the summer at home, you’re old enough that there’s probably no one on your back trying make you be productive.

No, as your time in college so far should have taught you, the adult world is one of self-motivation. If you are going to be able to look back on this period of your life and be satisfied with what you accomplished, you will have to learn to make your own goals and be driven to reach them.

In trying to set goals for yourself, I recommend visualizing several things. First, look at where you are now and then honestly envision where you think you will be by the end of the summer if you make no significant changes in your behavior or habits. Next, think about where you would like to be at the end of the summer. And finally, decide what you will have to change in your behavior or habits to get to that goal. This exercise sounds simple, but I can tell you from experience that it’s very easy to drift through life without taking the time to look ahead and make plans.

One important way you can increase your chances of achieving your goals is to allow other people to encourage and instruct you. A friend may know a lot about fitness or nutrition they could teach you. A parent or professor may have a great book in mind they would encourage you to read.

Although those of us on a college schedule are already a third of the way through the summer break, it's never too late to set goals for productivity and personal betterment.