Hispanic Heritage Month kicks off with Greene Street celebration

The rich diversity of Hispanic culture was on full display on Greene Street on Friday for the Hispanic Heritage Month Kickoff. 

Friday's kickoff was a reflection of the purpose of Hispanic Heritage Month itself, as the event blended celebrations of Latinx culture with an informative exhibition of the diversity of the community. The tables set up along Greene Street represented countries from Mexico to those of South America, Central America and the Caribbean. 

"There's so many countries that make up the Hispanic culture and Hispanic Heritage Month and we all have one thing that ties us together, and that's the language and the Hispanic culture. But we're also different," said second-year engineering student Lucero Contreas. Contreas is vice president of Kappa Delta Chi, a Latina-founded sorority at USC that co-sponsored the kickoff.

Kappa Delta Chi's fundraising chair Yamaisi Errasti, a second-year business student, called the event an opportunity to "raise awareness of diversity."

Third-year broadcast journalism student Janelys Villalta, the president of the Latin American Student Organization, emphasized that it was also a chance to show that Hispanic Heritage Month isn't just for those of Hispanic heritage.

"We obviously as the Latin American community here on campus want to celebrate, but we also want to let other students know that they're welcome to celebrate and with that to celebrate the whole month with us," she said. "This is a really open environment for people to learn about what being Hispanic and Latinx is about."

Friday's event was just the start of the celebration of Hispanic Heritage Month at USC. LASO will host various events throughout the month to highlight Latinx culture and history. They will partner with other student organizations like FemCo, AAAS and IRIS to discuss aspects of intersectionality and provide a platform for discussions of issues like farm labor. Other organizations such as OMSA and Kappa Delta Chi will also celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month with even more events. 

On the whole, Villalta hopes people from all walks of life can take away something meaningful from events like the kickoff and the events to come.

"I want people to learn what's distinctive from each country, even if it is about the food," she said. "Just come and realize we're a great community, and with that we also have issues going on."