Trick-or-treat draws students to President's House

USC's first family opened its doors to students for a trick-or-treat event on the Horseshoe on Halloween night. Students had the opportunity to dress up, gather candy and other treats, and meet First Lady Patricia Moore-Pastides.

Dressed as a  “badass chef,” Moore-Pastides hosted the event outside the President’s House. “We’ve done this every year I think since Harris became president, so this is our ninth year, and we just think it’s a way to have some good, clean fun on Halloween,” she explained. “I tend to invite a student group to help me host, and this year, it’s the Freshman Council.”

First-year sports and entertainment management student Casey Magersupp is a committee member on the USC Freshman Council. 

“This is kind of just a group event we get to come to, to meet some people and hang out with Mrs. Pastides,” Magersupp said. “A lot of kids from around Columbia expect to come to this event a lot, and I even think some students stop by.”

University students were present at the event, including first-year international business student Kylie Dolbier.

“I saw it online,” she said. “Also, we were just looking for something neat to do on Halloween.”

Other Halloween events sponsored by USC included haunted houses in residence halls, caramel apple decorating, a costume contest, pumpkin carving and Greek life trick-or-treating.