Head-to-head: Black Friday — bargain shopping worth the chaos?

Shoppers flock to a store advertising steep discounts along the Third Street Promenade in Santa Monica, Calif., on Friday, Nov. 27, 2015. (Luis Sinco/Los Angeles Times/TNS)

Black Friday — a "holiday" for some and a hatred for others. It's that one day out of the year where people can act like complete animals, but can also save a ton of money on that brand new TV or other high dollar products. Arts and Culture writers Kenna Coe and Shayla Nidever went head-to-head over Black Friday and the pros and cons of the shopping frenzy. 

For Black Friday: Kenna Coe

In recent years, Black Friday has gotten a lot of hate for being a selfish end to a thankful day. Black Friday, in the purest form, is a day where friends and family gather to celebrate the start of the holiday shopping season. There are many practical reasons Black Friday should continue to be a day for shopping. First, shoppers love their bargains. Black Friday is known for having the best deals of the season, especially on electronics and appliances. 

Many complain that the sales on Black Friday are not worth the hassle, but consumers need to do their research beforehand in order to know where the best deals are. There is a sense of excitement about shopping in the middle of the night dressed in pajamas. Taking a trip to the mall at late hours with family and friends is something that can only be experienced on Black Friday. Conversations in line while freezing in the cold creates unbreakable bonds among Wal-Mart shoppers. 

Also, the adrenaline rush from running through the aisles right when the doors open is a unique part of the experience. There will be plenty of stories to tell on Christmas morning about how that perfect gift finally made it under the tree. Black Friday isn’t all about buying gifts for yourself, but instead marks the beginning of the giving season. 

The thankfulness of Thursday transforms into the spirit of giving on Friday. Plus, running around the store is the perfect way to burn off those extra Thanksgiving calories.  

Against Black Friday: Shayla Nidever

Black Friday, although it does offer a fun day-after-Thanksgiving activity, actually takes away more from the holiday season than it gives back. The deals offered by the major chains and retail stores aren’t actually that great. The popular brands that everyone wants around the holidays are often not the ones that are on sale, meaning that those who go out shopping for a certain major brand may find the same high prices. This could potentially make someone change their minds on a really thoughtful gift idea for something cheaper, or something that the person they are shopping for might not necessarily want.

The deals are also more practical on Cyber Monday, no need to wait in lines or camp out in front of a store. A lot of aspects that come along with Black Friday are not so exciting. The long waits and the possibility of items not being in stock are two of the things that make this tradition a little less appealing.

Employees of these stores also lose out on part of the season as they attend to lines during the early morning. There was even an incident at a Wal-Mart in Long Island a few years ago where a worker was trampled to death. On top of all of this, the whole Black Friday culture encourages overspending, which in turn makes the holiday season a little bit harder. 

The value of the season is essentially lost in the craziness of Black Friday, putting spending and consumerism above the true reason for the season — away from thankfulness and more toward materialistic joys.