Get out of town: trips to take this summer

The Grand Canyon is a layer cake that tells the geological story of the last two billion years. The canyon gives visitors a rare opportunity to see the distinct layers that form the Earth. (Brad Branan/Sacramento Bee/TNS)

Whether you’re spending the summer in a classroom here on campus, interning in a big city or saving money by living with your parents back home, summer vacation needs to be broken up with some exciting trips. No matter if you're looking for a quick day trip or a weekender, or you want to go all out and blow your savings on the trip of a lifetime, there are plenty to choose from:

Close to Home

If you’ll be melting in the Cola heat this summer, there are a wealth of places to escape to. Columbia’s convenient location puts us pretty close to a ton of amazing places. Lakes, mountains and beaches are only an hour or two drive away, making day trips easy and cheap during the summer.

Lake Murray Public Park is a cheap option to spend the day at the lake. With a picnic area and beach to relax on, the park offers an oasis from the steep hills and oppressive heat of campus during the summer. If you get bored on the shore, head to one of the numerous marinas or boating stores to check out renting a paddleboard, kayak or boat.

Folly Beach, home to the most laid-back people in South Carolina, is just a two-hour drive from Columbia. With plenty of public access points to the beach and great surfing, swimming and shelling spots, Folly Beach is the perfect place to unwind during the day or a weekend. Beach shops and restaurants line Center Street; check out Rita’s Seaside Grille or Taco Boy for lunch while you’re there. If you’re more of a foodie, go to Sullivan’s Island instead for lunch at The Obstinate Daughter and then hop over to Isle of Palms for wide beaches and a calm surf.

In the opposite direction of Charleston, Western North Carolina offers up a plethora of charming towns and scenic views to spend a weekend getaway hiking, shopping and cooling off. Asheville, home to over 20 craft breweries and many quirky shops, is the perfect town to be a tourist in (that’s even their baseball team’s mascot). If you’re looking to splurge, take a tour of the iconic Biltmore Estate, the nation’s largest home with extensive gardens. Another option is in the next county over — the Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. offers free brew house tours to anyone over the age of 12, a perfect idea for the craft beer nerd in you.

Go for broke

For those of you willing to drive through the night or blow the cash you should’ve been saving for rent, here’s a few more elaborate vacation options to take this summer.

What would be a better way to start off the summer than channeling your inner Britney Spears and road tripping across the country with your friends? Arizona, Utah and California are great states to see some of the most beautiful places in America for relatively low prices. The Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, Zion National Park and The Pacific Coast Highway should make up your scenic route across the west. If you like camping, all of these parks have great campgrounds and lodgings. Finish your trip in San Francisco or Yosemite before the long trek back East.

Amelia Island is a slightly shorter drive than the West Coast, just four hours to this Floridian town, but it still offers great views of the Atlantic and a great seaside town that’s an ideal vacation spot. A public beach, horseback riding, kayaking and canoeing are all oceanfront activities to partake in while on Amelia Island, which is easily accessible despite its distance from the mainland. Once you’re off the beach, the historic district offers tons of shops and restaurants to spend the night in.