Column: Rush needs to become less stressful

default column
default column

As I'm sure almost everyone on campus knows, sorority bid day was this past Sunday. It would've been hard to miss the masses of girls running around Columbia dressed in varying themes. By all accounts, bid day is a joyous day when potential new members finally get to run to their new home. 

What most people don't know about is the overwhelming recruitment process these girls have had to go through. 

I envy those who are blissfully ignorant of the intense planning, practicing and perfecting of every aspect of recruitment. Sororities arrive as early as two weeks before classes start and begin preparing for the upcoming rush. The PNMs need to arrive about a week early and are immediately thrown into the recruitment process. Imagine leaving your family for the first time, living in a new place, preparing for classes and then, on top of all that, having to worry about finding a sorority. 

Unfortunately, the whole process is more worrisome than enjoyable. Girls anxiously ask each other what they need to wear or where they need to go. The ironic thing is that almost all sororities themselves think this process is antiquated.  

Choosing a sorority should be about the girls you meet, the things they're involved in and the feeling of the house in general. The thing about the whole rush process is that it's easy for girls to lose sight of these things. Even though sisterhood, involvement and philanthropy are highlighted, it can be difficult to focus on them among the flood of rules and regulations. 

Some girls believe the recruitment process is so strict they will get dropped from a house if they ask to use the bathroom. Can you imagine thinking that you would be judged for doing something so purely human? Of course that isn't true, but the fact that the process intimidates the PNMs to that degree proves how much it falls short of focusing on the important parts of finding a sorority. 

I understand that some type of orderly process needs to be in place because of the sheer amount of women rushing. However, the current system we have is both out-dated and impractical. PNMs could not care less about sororities' cheers and outfits. They shouldn't have to worry about lining up perfectly in an exquisite sundress. We need to move this process into the 21st century. Less structure, more reality. Let's stop talking to girls like we're interviewing them and just have an honest, normal conversation. 

Rush is weird, there's no denying that. But the strict processes sororities currently have to follow make it even weirder. If some changes are made, not only will girls feel more comfortable, but maybe — just maybe — the unfortunate stigma that follows Greek life may fade away.