Letter to the editor: Keep Confederate monuments up

I write to you today with a heavy heart to discuss a critical issue in America today. No, I’m not talking about President Donald Trump. I’m talking about the new “dumbest thing in America,” which is the senseless destruction of historical monuments and veterans memorials by faceless mobs or by ignorant politicians under the guise of “social justice.” I speak to you now as a Southerner who is witnessing a coordinated effort to eradicate the history, way of life and spirit of his people.  

It is my position and the position of a majority of Americans that all historical monuments should remain in place in order to inspire and teach future generations. Today’s crusade to “pull old Dixie down,” however, has a much more sinister goal than simply removing visible symbols like flags and statues. The main purpose is the complete rewriting of American history through a cultural Marxist prism of warped values and the need to silence dissent. If you divorce a people from their history, you can easily control their future. We saw this exact scenario occur in the former Soviet Russia and Nazi Germany (you hear that, antifa?). If real history happens to dispute the current ideology, then simply rewrite any facts that are inconvenient! So simple a socialist can do it!

Some of these statues and memorials were put up by a ravaged and destitute, but proud, people looking for any way to grieve for the hundreds and thousands of sons, fathers and husbands who never came home. We honor those men who fought with the utmost valor against overwhelming odds when their states called for them. So let us finally say “no!” with resounding conviction to the small minds who seek to perpetrate this cultural and historical travesty.