Thomas Rhett opens up about past on "Life Changes"

Thomas Rhett during the arrivals at the 59th Annual Grammy Awards at Staples Center in Los Angeles on Sunday, Feb. 12, 2017. (Marcus Yam/Los Angeles Times/TNS)

Thomas Rhett’s third album, “Life Changes," gives fans a glimpse into his past as he grows up, falls in love and starts a family. 

Rhett created an album that features many upbeat songs with creative lyrics that keep fans wanting more. Rhett’s album is a prime example of current country music trends because as he balances on a country/pop line, he remains true to the country genre with his lyrics and melodies. 

Last week, “Life Changes” made history by becoming the first country album to reach number one on the Billboard 200 all-genre chart.

The first song on the album, “Craving You,” became a hit with its upbeat energy created through the collaboration with Maren Morris. While Rhett fans have been listening to the single since last spring, the song officially found a spot on Rhett’s album.

The most popular song on the album, “Unforgettable,” is a romantic and catchy love song that is hard to resist singing along. The song lists the little details about a couple meeting for the first time, stating “the whole night was just like you, unforgettable.” To many fans’ disappointment, the song is not a true story about the day he met his wife, Lauren Atkins, but Rhett believed the song is relatable to anyone in a relationship.

Few artists have the opportunity to do a collaboration with their father. “Drink A Little Beer”features Rhett’s dad and songwriter Rhett Atkins. The song emphasizes the common surface-level, carefree attitude that many country songs celebrate: drinking beer, listening to music, and having fun. The song is interrupted by commentary between Rhett and his father. 

“This is so weird having my dad on a song right now, considering he’s 50,” Rhett says. Atkins replies by saying “I taught you everything you know, son.”

The title track of the album gives the most insight into Rhett’s past. “Life Changes” begins with Rhett reminiscing about the college worries of “looking for a date to the spring formal” and “majoring in undecided.” A few things most college students have in common. 

He talks about marrying Lauren at 22 and mentions their recent adoption of Willa Gray from Uganda around the same time Lauren found out she was pregnant. Rhett makes the conclusion in the chorus that “life changes and I wouldn’t change it for the world.” Rhett’s transparency makes fans feel like they know him personally and are a part of his life.

The album cleverly ends with “Grave.” The simple background acoustics showcase Rhett’s vocals as he sings about loving until death. He sings, “I may be six feet deep, but I’ll still be loving you.”

While Rhett has had many recent life changes, his style of music has stayed consistent. Rhett created 14 unique songs that have show his talent as a songwriter. The success of the album proves he did not disappoint fans. Fortunately for Rhett fans in Columbia, he is coming to Colonial Life Arena on October 12.