Outstanding seniors recognized in awards ceremony

The Outstanding Senior recipients were recognized on March 29 at 3 p.m. in the Russell House Ballroom.

Seniors who received the award have demonstrated major achievement in the categories of service, leadership, academics and research. 

Throughout her years at USC, fourth-year visual communications student Rachel Johnson feels that she has left a lasting impact through being the creative director of Garnet & Black Magazine and the president of dance for the Swype dance organization.

“I’ve been able to really influence what the organization in been doing in a positive way, kind of leave an impact that will exist past my graduation,” she said.

For fourth-year broadcast journalism student Janelys Villalta, being in the right circles and meeting the right mentors played a vital role. Villalta is a first-generation college student and a part of the university’s Opportunity Scholars Program. Through her involvement with the Office of Multicultural Student Affairs, Villalta had the opportunity to serve as the president of the Latin American Student Organization. 

“It’s just great to see that the school is recognizing their student leaders and they're glad that there are people on this campus trying to make a difference and trying to make a better world,” she said.

Emily Davis, a fourth-year nursing student, had the opportunity to get involved on campus through the faculty at her college. 

“The College of Nursing has such amazing faculty, and through different organizations that I’ve been a part of, I’ve really gotten to know a lot of our faculty members who truly care about investing in students, and especially our dean,” said Davis. “The way that she really cares for and truly wants to invest in students, I think played a huge part in being able to get involved in a variety of different things and opening up different opportunities.”

Anna Edwards, associate vice president of student life, welcomed the audience and closed the ceremony. An invocation was given by Tom Wall, the chair of the Carolina Chaplains Association. Darla Moore School of Business third-year student Bryant Sasser presented the awards to the seniors. To finish out the ceremony, senior Robert Wilkinson of the School of Music sang the alma mater. Following the ceremony was a celebratory reception.

For the seniors of 2018, the awards ceremony was a chance to officially be recognized for the legacy that they will leave behind. 

“It’s definitely something that’s unique to our university to have an award like this and it’s really humbling to get it,” said Erin Ryan, a fourth-year international business and accounting student.

The seniors who have been selected to receive the Outstanding Senior award are put into consideration for the Algernon Sydney Sullivan Award and Steven N. Swanger Leadership Award – USC’s top two undergraduate honors.