USC prepares for State of the University, anniversary farmers market

In honor of President Harris Pastides’ 10 years at USC, the week of Sept. 10 will feature a pair of events recognizing USC's first family. Pastides will deliver his annual State of the University address on Wed. Sept. 12, and Patricia Moore-Pastides will host the More-Healthy, More-Local, Moore-Pastides Farmers Market on Tuesday, Sept. 11. 

The Pastides are the founders of the Pastides Health & Sustainability Pledge, which encourages students to embrace healthy living through cooking classes, farmers markets and green living. 

“This farmer’s market and street fair will feature healthy, local choices and help us connect as a community,” Moore-Pastides said in an online letter to students. “On and off-campus organizations will be sharing some ways that you can minimize your impact and maximize your health.”

The farmers market, which kicks off at 10 a.m., will also feature a yoga class at 9:30 a.m. Moore-Pastides has brought more vendors than ever along with demonstrations of cooking techniques. 

Continuing the theme of Pastides’ 10 years at USC, the State of the University address will take place on Wednesday on the Horseshoe at 11 a.m. The speech will be followed by a celebration on Greene Street. 

“President Pastides will discuss his 10 years at the helm of Carolina, growing both the number and quality of students and faculty, increasing research funding and improving access to the state's flagship university for all South Carolinians,” a press release said.

Pastides invites students to come out and hear about what he envisions for the future while reflecting on the past 10 years.  

“I’ve used the word 'challenging' in every one of my State of the University addresses, beginning in 2008,” Pastides said in his 2017 State of the University Address. “Let me offer you a preview of next year’s address…I’ll use it again.”