Gamecock Walk displays exhibit USC spirit

Colorful and creative parade float displays filled the Russell House ballroom on Oct. 22 for Homecoming Week's event Gamecock Walk.

Various organizations designed parade floats on campus to display their school spirit, artistic talents and contributions made throughout Homecoming Week. The colorful displays set up in the ballroom served to replace the moving parade of previous years. 

Emily Waters, a second-year hospitality management student, became more involved in this year’s Gamecock Walk, helping decorate the Gamma Phi Beta and Phi Delta Theta float.

“I like getting to see how creative every, or each organization is with their floats,” Waters said.

Decorating these floats gave students a way to become more involved in homecoming and represent their organization. Michaela Tunney, a member of Phi Mu and a second-year nursing student, also helped with the decoration of her sorority’s float and expressed how nice it was to help her sorority participate in homecoming events.

“This has been a lot of fun, ‘cause I’ve never done anything like this before, so it's a challenge, but it's a lot of fun,” said Tunney. 

The changes to homecoming events showcased new goals and initiatives from the homecoming executive board and other individuals involved in planning and executing the week's events. Caroline Fruehauf, a homecoming event coordinator and third-year public health student, said the board worked to promote more inclusive participation of organizations in Gamecock Walk through having different categories involving small and large groups, as well as residence halls building displays. 

“I think literally how much time and effort that every single person, homecoming chair and organization has put into this event is so awesome and they're so proud,” Fruehauf said.

While homecoming events have concluded for the year, the Tennessee vs. South Carolina football game is set to take place on Saturday, Oct. 27.