Letter from the editor: Just checking in

As students part from binge-watching sessions, traveling and resting to make their way back to campus, the excitement of spring semester is not too far behind. Many others are finishing up their first year, or for some students like myself, are returning for their last semester at USC. No matter how long you’ve attended USC, the same feeling of anticipation and excitement for the spring semester is always strong. 

My favorite part of spring semester is coming back rested and ready for the fresh start that a new semester brings. Whether that be a New Year’s resolution, new classes, new schedules or a new look, a new semester brings new opportunities. At The Daily Gamecock, we have spent our winter break working together to prepare for the new start. 

The fall semester brought a reawakening for us as a staff as to what the role and responsibility of The Daily Gamecock truly is. We tell stories about students for students, provide event coverage and cultivate an informed campus. But more than that, we are the watchdog of the university, and as journalists working for a newspaper, we have the responsibility of holding university officials, professors, Student Government and other people accountable and providing students with valuable information. 

With the new semester beginning, we are ready to fulfill our job to you, our readers. Being a college newspaper, we have a greater understanding of who many of our readers are and what they want to read. Here at the paper, we are journalists, editors, photojournalists, designers and like many of our readers, college students who are constantly learning and growing with each edition and are always trying to find new ways to serve our community best. 

In my four years on staff, I have seen how The Daily Gamecock has adapted to the changing digital world. Whether you like picking up our paper to get your news, or you use Twitter to check out our latest articles, we are constantly continuing to develop and learn how to improve your experience, no matter how you get your news from us. 

At The Daily Gamecock, we are always asking ourselves, ‘What can we do to serve our community better?’ but this semester let’s try something new. How about we ask you?

Carolina community, what can we do to serve you better?

Email us, tweet at us, send us a DM, send us a letter, send us a tip or however it is you communicate, and let us know how we can serve you better. We look forward to hearing from you. 

Here’s to a new semester, 

Tori Richman 

Editor-in-chief, The Daily Gamecock