Opinion: 21 Savage should not be under pressure from immigration

default opinion
default opinion

Immigration in the United States is an important and divisive issue, but when it affects a public figure like 21 Savage, arguably one of the biggest names in hip-hop, it shines a light on why some of these innocent people do not deserve deportation.

21 Savage, whose real name is Shayaa Bin Abraham-Joseph, was arrested on Feb. 3 by Immigration and Customs Enforcement who said that he overstayed his visa. The rapper, who was born in the United Kingdom, remained in ICE custody until Feb. 13, when he was released on a $100,000 bond.

His arrest came before the 61st Annual Grammy Awards, where the rapper was supposed to perform the hit song “Rockstar” along with rapper Post Malone. The arrest also came after the rapper released his music video for his single “A Lot” featuring J. Cole. He also performed a new verse for the song on the "The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon." The verse contained lyrics that sympathized with people that were immigrating to the U.S.

The “A Lot” rapper moved to the U.S. when he was 7 years old and has been calling Atlanta home ever since. He also has three children that were born in the U.S.

21 Savage has two albums that reached the top ten in the Billboard Hot 100 chart and has had songs like “Bank Account,” “Rockstar” and “A Lot” appear in the top thirty. He also has a Billboard Music Award for Top Rap Song and an MTV Video Music Award for Song of the Year for “Rockstar.”

21 Savage should not get deported because America — Atlanta, in particular — is all he knows. He has built a legacy and a successful career while here. 21 Savage also has young children that should not have to live without their father. Even though he has been in trouble in the past, that should not be something held against him. I hope for nothing but the best for 21 Savage’s future in staying in the U.S. and his career.

Rapper Jay-Z hired a legal team to get the rapper out of ICE custody and to keep him in the country, and according to ABC News, 21 Savage’s main priority right now is to become a U.S. citizen.

When it comes to immigration in this country, I think if a person is brought here as a child, they should not have to suffer the consequences of what they have to go through once they reach adulthood. I feel for everyone that faces deportation every day. I hope that everyone has a chance to return to their normal lives in this country once they are released. Every immigrant deserves to live a happy life in this country that we call the “melting pot.”