Head to Head to Head: Books are the intelligent way to go

default opinion
default opinion

There's no shame in sitting down and reading a long book over the weekend. 

Reading might make you nerdy in elementary school, but as an adult, reading for fun is something many aspire to do. When one can find the time to sit down and ignore everything with a book, the ultimate escapism has been reached. This same level of achievement, satisfaction and relaxation does not come in the form of movies or television. 

Reading the book version of a story trumps watching it at the movies or on television every single time. For three main reasons, books create a better experience for audiences than film. 

First, books are often the first medium through which a story is told. They give readers enticing details about the characters and plot as opposed to scripts that cut out the juicy character development. Reading details of a story creates alternate worlds that will never match the personal world that a filmmaker creates from their own vision. 

Additionally, scripts often cut out amazing scenes or chapters from books because of time restraints.

The sheer act of sitting down to read a book far surpasses that of sitting and watching a movie or television show. When reading a book, feel-good vibes instantly surround you. Watching a movie usually involves mindless snacking, the feeling of time wasted lounging or, even worse, money wasted at the theater.

Reading a book makes you feel productive and mature because it fosters wisdom, intelligence and imagination. Reading a book is more often associated with cool rainy days and cups of coffee than being a couch potato.

Reading literally makes a person more intelligent and empathetic — arguably two of the most important qualities in a person. According to Cambridge Brain Sciences, this comes from reading longer and more devotedly which equals reading books instead of quick articles or labels on a cereal box.

There is no shame in taking the time to read a book. In fact, there are many rights to reading a book instead of watching a screen. When someone mentions that they watched three movies yesterday, it is said with shame and sheepishness. On the other hand, how many times have you heard someone humble-brag about the book they’re reading and how you just have to borrow it when they’re finished?