Review: Lizzo's "Cuz I Love You" will make you fall in love with yourself

Lizzo (Melissa Jefferson) during Outside Lands Music Festival at Golden Gate Park on August, 11 2018, in San Francisco, Calif. (Daniel DeSlover/Sipa USA/TNS)

Lizzo’s sophomore album “Cuz I Love You” is a love note from the artist to herself. An advocate for the body positivity movement, Lizzo mixes her message with beats that you can’t help but move to and infectious words that invite a sing-along. The album offers the perfect combination of undeniable bops and a clear thematic praise of self-love.

Lizzo celebrates her body, and her Instagram is filled with videos of her twerking, playing the flute and photoshoots. This album is proof self-love is important.

Lizzo’s “Cuz I Love You” album comes at the perfect time, with a world ready to receive its empowering message. Self-love is a foundational aspect of taking care of yourself and being able to live a full, healthy life.

There are lots of ways to live healthy: exercise, eat a balanced diet, get enough sleep and always drink water. What's so often missing from self-care discussions, though, is the importance of loving yourself and taking care of your mental health.

Today’s society is consumed by perception — how we perceive ourselves, how others perceive us and how we perceive others. I have no doubt that Lizzo’s album and her tour will be immensely successful, not only because of the amazing songs featured on the album, but because of the message Lizzo is spreading to her fans: we are stuck with ourselves for our whole life, so we should do everything in our power to love ourselves.

Album highlights: Songs I immediately fell in love with

“Juice,” the third song on the album, offers the perfect balance of '80s dance-pop and body confidence. Lizzo knows that she might be a target for some, but she is still unapologetically her. This song is all about not being sorry for who you are.

“Jerome” is all about getting rid of an ex who has done nothing but hold you back. Jerome is immature and needs to grow up, and Lizzo has finally realized that he is the one thing stopping her from being successful.

"Tempo” is definitely my favorite song on this album. I believe it truly captures exactly who Lizzo is: a big girl who loves herself and just wants a song that she can bust down to in the club. Besides this song's great beat and Lizzo's jaw-dropping verses, Missy Elliot’s verse is indescribable. Plus, it features a tiny snippet of Lizzo jamming out on the flute.

Notable mentions: Not my favorite, but they're still bops

“Like A Girl,” celebrates all the great things about being a girl (there are a lot). This song takes the insulting phrase, “Throw like a girl,” and turns it into the powerful chant, “Run the world.” 

“Soulmate” is entirely focused on being in love with who you are, and nothing more. Lizzo says you need to love spending time with yourself; listen to her.