Welcome back from the student body president

<p>Headshot of Luke Rankin. Rankin served as student body president 2019-2020.</p>
Headshot of Luke Rankin. Rankin served as student body president 2019-2020.

A letter to my fellow Gamecocks,

On behalf of the University of South Carolina Student Government, I am ecstatic to welcome everyone to campus to start another year of new heights, old traditions and, of course, no limits. I am beyond thrilled that you have chosen the University of South Carolina to be your home, and I could not be more excited to be a part of your journey here at Carolina.

First, thank you for giving me the opportunity of a lifetime to serve as your student body president. Already, it has brought me great honors, provided challenging obstacles and given me unforgettable memories. I cannot wait to see what is yet to come!

I commit to work tirelessly with and for you to lead and continue to pave new paths for our great university. It is my mission to lead towards a more inclusive environment where everyone can achieve their dreams and goals. My dedication, coupled with your passion, will lead us to greatness with no limits here at Carolina. UofSC has allowed me to grow as a leader and a follower, for I am surrounded by independent, driven, change-enacting individuals. And I know UofSC will push you to break ceilings of knowledge, involvement and leadership, just as it did for me.

I challenge you to surprise yourself as you grow beyond your expectations. As your student body president, I look forward to working with each of you by empowering you to grip your own reins on your personal college experience. I pledge to work on issues that matter to you. After all, we the students are the most important piece of this great university. As the future of South Carolina, and the world, for that matter, we must work to ensure that this is a place where possibility comes to fruition, where you can represent yourself and achieve greatness.

Freshmen, transfer students and those new to the Columbia campus, thank you for allowing me to guide you in your first year. You might have noticed that you are not the only new face to Carolina. Our new university president, Robert Caslen, will also be starting off alongside you and I challenge you, along with our existing students, to learn, to grow and to dare our university to keep pushing the bar to new heights.

Additionally, I challenge you to hold me accountable as I work to represent all of you. We have a lot to look forward to this year as we continue to plan for a new student union and campus village, attend classes that allow us to grow as individuals and experience the opportunity of a lifetime by attending the greatest university in the world. As your student body president, it is my wish for you to never question my commitment to you, my fellow Gamecocks. I know this year will bring both obstacles and successes, but may our passion for UofSC and my passion for you, the students, be unwavering. Through open communication, successful engagement and intentional collaboration, this year will be one that we will not forget.

Finally, I would like to leave you all with this: Make this a year to remember. Explore campus, join a club, get involved, tell a staff member thank you, attend a football game with over 80,000 of our closest friends and dance to Sandstorm while cheering on our team. No college experience is alike, but I encourage you to leave your mark on this university as it leaves its mark on you. Together, we can make a wide array of accomplishments that showcase how great our home truly is.

With that, I look forward to working with you and understanding how we can work together to create everlasting change for this university that we love so much. I encourage you to stop by the Student Government office in room 227 in the Russell House Student Union, or email me at sasgpres@mailbox.sc.edu and express your thoughts, concerns or ideas with me. I aim for transparency and, with your help, we can accomplish that. Feel free to follow Student Government on social media @UofSCSG on Twitter and Instagram, to follow our progress, find new opportunities and perhaps see a familiar face!

I cannot think of a better way to spend my last year at this beloved university than by working with and for you. Thank you for believing in me and giving me this opportunity. I know this year will be one to remember.

Forever to thee,

Luke Rankin