Recap: Executive Cabinet prepares for transition to new administration

With Student Government’s election cycle drawing to a close, the Executive Cabinet met Tuesday to discuss the transition to a new administration. As Student Body President Luke Rankin was in Washington D.C. at the time, chief of staff Sam Mayberry led the meeting. 

Jerome Scott, assistant director for Student Government leadership, passed out a list of questions for cabinet members to answer, such as “What does success look like in this role?” and “What initiatives/programs/events did you host this semester?” 

These questions serve as an introduction for cabinet members to spur development of transition packets for the upcoming administration’s cabinet. These packets will include information such as key on-campus contacts and event creation timelines for each cabinet position. 

“My hope is that with this information, the next year’s people can, like, hit the ground running. They’ll know what events happened in the past and kinda continue some of the things that Student Government has done in the past,” Scott said. 

This is the first year that the process of creating transition documents has been so in-depth. In prior years, chief of staff Sam Mayberry said, cabinet members only filled out a Google form with the basics of their respective positions, which could make the job for incoming cabinet members overwhelming. 

“We're trying to make sure everyone kind of has, like, leveled the playing field, make sure everyone has resources, not just the people whose person before them was super engaged, you know?” Mayberry said. 

Although every member of cabinet is making a transition packet for their respective position, no such documents are in place for new cabinet positions that the next student body president may deem necessary. 

In the instance that a new cabinet position is created, “that person will work closely with whoever the president staff is and the president in order to make sure they get in contact with the correct people right away and get off on the same foot as well,” Mayberry said. 

Following the conclusion of Student Government elections at 5 p.m Wednesday, election results will be announced on Greene St. at 5:15 p.m. the same day.