Head to head: Vacation to beach for spring break

While the East Coast offers both mountains and beaches for all your vacationing needs, going to the beach for spring break is a classic trip that provides students with lifelong memories and a variety of great opportunities. Though there are many different options for beach vacations in South Carolina, two beaches near Columbia that students should consider visiting are Folly Beach and Myrtle Beach. 

Folly Beach is roughly a 2 hour drive and has many perks to visiting. It has some of the best surfing and waves in South Carolina and will not disappoint. Folly Beach is a great place to go swimming and surfing, and it is also close to Historic Charleston, which is not only beautiful but full of rich and enticing history.

With great kayaking and sailing locations, Folly Beach has many opportunities to take great pictures. It offers hotels and inns at different price ranges, giving college students vacationing on a budget a wide variety of different options to choose from.

Myrtle Beach is about 2 hours and 30 minutes away from USC, but it's totally worth it. Myrtle Beach offers 60 miles of beautiful coastline and is home to the largest Sky Wheel on the East Coast, offering the highest views of the  Atlantic Ocean.

Myrtle Beach is a fantastic place to go swimming, sightseeing and immersing oneself in extensive nightlife. There are many shops and restaurants open late in the Myrtle Beach area.

Myrtle Beach offers many places to explore, one of which is the Boardwalk. The Myrtle Beach Boardwalk is along the edges of the sand and features different types of touristy shops and small restaurants. 

Along with great shopping, eating and swimming opportunities, Myrtle Beach has an extensive golfing community. The Grand Strand is a place for students to go when they want to take a break from the sand and salty water in favor of practicing their golfing skills. 

When deciding between going to the beach or visiting a mountain during spring break, there are a few things that make the beach just a little bit better. Columbia has been experiencing some freezing days for the past few weeks, so going to the beach would give students a break from the cold and a preview of warmer spring temperatures. The beach also offers a wider variety of shops, restaurants and other general nightlife opportunities. 

With midterm exams and long essays coming up just before students leave for break, clearing away the mental clutter left behind is a necessity. Going to the beach for spring break with friends or family is a good way to destress towards the middle of the spring semester. Swimming in the salty water, sunbathing in the sand and visiting local shops and restaurants are all calming activities that can be therapeutic. The beaches along the coasts of South Carolina also offer beautiful sunrises and sunsets over the Atlantic Ocean.