Standout senior student athletes prepare for next steps in career

<p>Junior Mikiah Harrigan celebrates with her teammates after South Carolina secured a win against Florida State to advance to the Sweet 16 at the Halton Arena on Sunday.&nbsp;</p>
Junior Mikiah Harrigan celebrates with her teammates after South Carolina secured a win against Florida State to advance to the Sweet 16 at the Halton Arena on Sunday. 

Mikiah Herbert Harrigan

The senior forward led the 2019 Gamecock women’s basketball team with an average of 13.1 points per game and logged a career-high 50.3% field goal average. Herbert Harrigan received SEC All-Tournament team status after her averages of 14 points, 5.0 rebounds and 2.3 blocks in the SEC tournament helped South Carolina to the tournament title. She is tied for second-most career blocked shots in program history and is one of three in program history to notch 200 blocks and 1,000 career points. Herbert Harrigan was selected by the Minnesota Lynx as the No. 6 pick in the first round of the WNBA draft.

Tyasha Harris

The women’s basketball senior guard was a freshman during the 2017 national championship run and played a key role as a leader in the Gamecocks’ success during the 2019-2020 season. Harris set program records with 705 career assists and a 2.55 assist-to-turnover ratio, tying the program record for games played with 139. Her scoring abilities steadily improved throughout her career; in her senior season, Harris averaged 12.0 points per game. She was drafted to the WNBA by the Dallas Wings as the No. 7 pick in the first round. 

Bryan Edwards

South Carolina football’s wide receiver had a notable senior season in which he broke three program records with 48 consecutive games with a reception, 234 career receptions and 3,045 career receiving yards. Edwards tied the program single-game receptions record with his personal-best 14 receptions against Vanderbilt. His teammates selected him for the 2019 Steve Wadiak MVP Award and three offense awards: the Steve Spurrier MVP Award, the Tenacity Award and the Most Explosive Player Award. In February, Edwards broke his foot preparing for the NFL combine but was selected 81st overall by the Las Vegas Raiders in the 2020 NFL Draft.

Javon Kinlaw

The senior defensive tackle started making an impact for the Gamecocks football team the moment he transferred from Jones County Junior College as a sophomore. He played in every game of his career and recorded 93 career tackles, 18 of which resulted in a loss of yards. Kinlaw had a standout senior season, earning numerous awards including First-Team All-American by Associated Press and First-Team All-SEC by the coaches. His performance in the Reese’s Senior Bowl and the NFL Combine helped Kinlaw get drafted to the San Fransisco 49ers with the 14th overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft.

Maik Kotsar

The senior forward from Estonia started his college career by helping the Gamecocks reach the Final Four in the NCAA tournament for the first time in program history, where he scored 4 points and had three rebounds. Kotsar only continued to improve in the following seasons, ending his career as a Gamecock with 1028 career points and 668 total rebounds. Kotsar started every game of the 2019-2020 season and earned Second Team All-SEC. In his senior season, he averaged 11.2 points and 6.3 rebounds per game, putting up a season-high 24 points against Mississippi State. He will be eligible for the NBA draft this year. 

Mikayla Krzeczowski

The women’s soccer goalkeeper topped nearly every program goalkeeping record by the end of her career as a Gamecock. Krzeczowski started in goal all four years, finishing with 50 games without conceding a goal, the most ever in the SEC and the third-most in NCAA women’s soccer history, and a career goals-against average of 0.45. She earned All-SEC honors four times and was named the 2019 SEC Goalkeeper of the Year. Krzeczowski has signed a contract with FC Jumonji Ventus and will be the first Gamecock to play in Japan’s Nadeshiko League.

Grace Fisk

<p>Defender Grace Fisk dribbles around a defender in a game during the 2019 season against Tennessee. The Gamecocks lost 1-0 to the Volunteers on Friday.</p>
Defender Grace Fisk dribbles around a defender in a game during the 2019 season against Tennessee. The Gamecocks lost 1-0 to the Volunteers on Friday.

The senior women’s soccer defender helped the Gamecocks in their top-notch defensive performance in 2019. South Carolina set program records with its 17 clean sheets and .032 goals-against average, in which categories the team was first and second in the country, respectively. Fisk won a bronze medal in 2018 with England's U20 National Team at the U20 Women's World Cup, and her performance in South Carolina’s 2019 SEC tournament title run earned her a spot on the All-Tournament team. The London native has signed to play professionally with West Ham United in the FA Women’s Super League.

Mia Horvit

Senior Mia Horvit returns a shot to her opponent during her match against Clemson, in which she won both sets in a timely manner. Overall, the Gamecocks defeated Clemson 6-1.

Horvit started her freshman season as an immediate standout for the Gamecocks women’s tennis team, including being the first freshman in program history to earn the All-American honor for singles. She also earned spots on the SEC All-Freshman team and All-SEC Second team. She continued to be an asset for the Gamecocks throughout her college career, helping them win their first SEC championship in program history in 2019. She finished her career with the second-highest regular-season combined win percentage in the SEC with .647 and tied for second-highest regular-season doubles win percentage in the SEC with .667.

Tucker Monheimer

<p>Gamecock senior forward Tucker Monheimer goes up for a header in the Sept. 18 match against Furman at Stone Stadium. South Carolina beat Furman 3-0.</p>
Gamecock senior forward Tucker Monheimer goes up for a header in the Sept. 18 match against Furman at Stone Stadium. South Carolina beat Furman 3-0.

Monheimer joined the Gamecock men’s soccer team in 2017 as a sophomore transfer from Northern Kentucky. He has steadily improved with every season as a Gamecock, finishing his career with 10 goals, two assists, and 22 total points. 

Luca Mayr

<p>Gamecock midfielder Luca Mayr takes possession from Presbyterian defender Simen Johansen. After the Gamecocks were able to regain the lead late in the game, Mayr played a large role in holding South Carolina’s 3-2 lead.&nbsp;</p>
Gamecock midfielder Luca Mayr takes possession from Presbyterian defender Simen Johansen. After the Gamecocks were able to regain the lead late in the game, Mayr played a large role in holding South Carolina’s 3-2 lead. 

The Austrian midfielder started all 20 games as a freshman and quickly made a name for himself on the Gamecock Men’s Soccer team. Mayr finished that year with a spot on the Conference USA All-Freshman team and led the team with 52 shots. His sophomore season in 2017, he led the team with a career-high 18 points, six goals and six assists. He finished out his career as a Gamecock with 15 goals, 15 assists and 45 points. He currently plays for Tormenta FC in the USL League One. 

Mackenzie Boesel

A productive force at the plate for Gamecock softball, the senior infielder posted a .349 batting average, a .590 slugging percentage and a .451 on-base percentage for her career. In her sophomore year, Boesel led the team in just about every batting category on the stat line, including batting average, hits, doubles, triples, RBI and on-base percentage. In the 2019 season, she led the SEC with 21 doubles and racked up a South Carolina record 12-game hit streak. Boesel has not yet announced her plans following the shortened 2020 season but is eligible to redshirt and take the field again in 2021.

George Callil

The senior infielder joined the Gamecock baseball team as a junior, coming from McLennan Community College. Prior to playing at Carolina, Callil played shortstop for the U18 National team, where he finished fourth at the U18 World Cup. In his junior season he had a .214 batting average, four home runs and 17 RBI. While his senior season was unfortunately cut short, he still finished his career with a .229 batting average, five home runs and 27 RBI. It is unclear if Callil will return to complete his redshirt season next year.