Brief: Study abroad cancelled for fall 2020

The University of South Carolina has cancelled all study abroad programs for fall 2020. 

According to an email from vice provost Allen Miller, the decision was made by the Student International Travel Oversight Committee “due to the high global presence of COVID-19.” 

Students who were accepted into fall programs have been notified by email and issued refunds for their application fees.

“We hoped conditions might improve, but we could not reasonably expect people to wait any longer to receive a definitive decision,” Allen said in an email interview. “Most SEC schools have already cancelled for the fall.  We cannot responsibly send students overseas against the explicit advice of the federal government.”

Students who are interested in deferring their study abroad to the spring should contact their study abroad advisor, according to the Study Abroad Office webpage. The Study Abroad Office is also creating “a catalog of virtual fall 2020 study abroad opportunities.”

“We have many new virtual Study Abroad options for fall and, while a final decision has not yet been made for spring, we encourage students to consider virtual options,” Allen said. “The University of South Carolina strongly believes in the value of a global education, but we must balance that belief with a concern for the health and safety of our students and their families.  We will continue to explore new and innovative ways to ensure both of these important goals are met during the pandemic.”