Brief: USC School of Law announces former trustee as new dean

The University of South Carolina School of Law has named William Hubbard its new dean. Hubbard graduated from USC in 1974 with a bachelor's degree in history and from the School of Law in 1977 with a Juris Doctor.

Hubbard has served on the university's board of trustees since 1986, having been chair from 1996 to 2000. He will step down from his role as trustee prior to beginning his new position as dean on Aug. 1. Former Gamecock men's basketball player Alex English has been appointed an interim position on the board in his place.

“I am truly humbled to have the opportunity to work with the law school family, as well as our external stakeholders to bring additional support to the law school,” Hubbard said in a press release. “I am most excited to be able to work with our students to ensure they have the tools to continue to develop their advocacy skills, respect for the rule of law, and passion for justice. These students will be South Carolina’s leaders of tomorrow. I will do everything I can to help them reach their full potential as lawyers and citizens.”

Hubbard was president of the American Bar Association from 2014 to 2015, president of the American Bar Endowment and the American Bar Foundation and is the current chair of the board of directors of the World Justice Project, according to the same press release. He is also an attorney at the state's largest law firm, Nelson Mullins.

He will succeed Dean Rob Wilcox, who announced his retirement in October after nine years in the position.