The Daily Gamecock

USC COVID-19 update: Active cases reach 1,461

The University of South Carolina has 1,461 active cases as of Thursday, according to the latest COVID-19 dashboard update.

This number increased by 435 cases since Monday. Of the active cases, 1,443 are students and 18 are employees.

The university announced on Thursday that it added 132 quarantine and isolation rooms at SpringHill Suites Columbia, a hotel in the Vista, in addition to the rooms already available on campus, bringing the total number to 560.

Students under quarantine have come into direct contact with a positive testing student. Students in isolation tested positive for COVID-19.

Of the on-campus quarantine and isolation rooms, 72.9% are in use, leaving an available capacity of 27.1%, or 116 rooms.

The percent positive rate from Sept. 1 to Sept. 3 is 17.3%, which is down from the previously reported rate of 23.3% that covered the time between Aug. 28 and Aug. 31.

There are currently 309 pending test results.

The campus alert level remains “low,” which is the second-lowest level on the alert scale. The alert level is calculated using 11 factors, including testing, case burden and quarantine/isolation capacity. 

The COVID-19 dashboard will be updated every Tuesday and Friday. 


Trending Now

Send a Tip Get Our Email Editions