Column: Essence of conspiracy theories, mysteries of New World Order

Today, the term "conspiracy theory" has a derogatory connotation and is used in a way to discredit an idea or insult the credibility of an individual. However, there have been a number of seemingly unbelievable conspiracy theories that have turned out to be true.  

In 2011, the idea that the U.S. government was surveilling citizens’ phones was just a conspiracy theory, until Snowden proved it to be true in 2013.

In the 1950s, many people believed the CIA was recruiting journalists in order to spread propaganda through the media, and this turned out to be true. In an attempt to influence public opinion and gather intelligence amidst the stirrings of the Cold War, the CIA created Operation Mockingbird and successfully maintained it for about 30 years.

Both of these theories seemed unbelievable at the time, but today people have become familiar with the tedious character of the CIA and the U.S. government in general. 

At the heart of all things conspiracy lies the Illuminati. Created in the 1700s, the Illuminati is said to be a group of “enlightened,” powerful and affluent individuals capable of shaping society as they please. They have been accused of being the masterminds behind a number of mysterious crimes.

The conspiracy theory follows the belief that the Illuminati is still a real, prominent group that has extended its influence and power exponentially via the formation of the New World Order, a totalitarian, universal government whose members include the global elite. Theorists believe they’ve exhibited their control by grooming us throughout our lives in education, entertainment and mass media.

If a person needs any proof that they are constantly being influenced by forces of control through our mass media channels, the new Netflix show “The Social Dilemma” poses sufficient evidence. Some theorists argue that the New World Order is using mass media to desensitize the general public as a means to prepare us for their unveiling. If ideas such as the possibility of mind control, an apocalypse and terrorism are normalized, then it won’t seem so taboo if an event of that nature were to happen. 

Over time, conspiracy theorists grow more paranoid of a reality dominated by a transnational government, and they’ve been collecting significant evidence. In March 1991, President George H. W. Bush presented a speech to Congress in which he emphasized the possibilities for global cooperation via the spread of democracy and the elimination of communism in a post-Cold War society.

“We can see a new world coming into view. A world in which there is the very real prospect of a new world order," Bush said in the speech. 

In 1966, author Mary M. Davison published her book “The Profound Revolution,” in which she outlines the overt operations of the New World Order in the U.S. government in attempt to expose the Illuminati.

The popularity of Davison's work grew, leading to the belief that the New World Order is also behind a number of wars, social uprisings and natural disasters because, in light of chaos, unrest and doubt, people are more willing to follow those promoting law and order. Look at today's issues, for instance: During the COVID-19 pandemic, we’ve abided by curfews, lockdowns, travel restrictions and even alcohol-sale restrictions, thus surrendering some of our individual rights in exchange for protection.

One of the most compelling pieces of evidence in the New World Order conspiracy theory lies below the Denver International Airport. Its construction extended well past the expected date and went two billion dollars over budget, peculiarities that were very suspicious.

One of the theories surrounding the airport's underground network of tunnels and alleged secret buildings, is that they are New World Order command bunkers or fallout shelters for the global elite. To further suspicions, a commemorative capstone sitting in the airport has a masonic symbol engraved in it and credits the New World Airport Commission for helping fund and build the airport. 

Even stranger, when plugging the New World Airport Commission into Google, the only results pertain to the Denver International Airport, as if the commission hadn’t existed before the airport. One of the most shocking components of the airport is that the layout is exceptionally similar to that of a swastika. Though many have said its design was constructed for the sake of efficiency, when compared to the layouts of other airports, none of them are even remotely shaped in such a way.

While we should take conspiracy theories with a grain of salt, it’s necessary to think beyond the boundaries of what we’ve perceived to be reality. Even if the New World Order doesn’t exist, the people still must serve as watchdogs: always questioning, researching and investigating. It’s easy to fall down the rabbit hole of conspiracies and get overwhelmed by your own confusion, but we must always be inquisitive.

Free will and independence die as soon as we favor blind obedience and conformity.