Designed to be dorm-friendly, these individual apple cobblers provide classic fall flavors in a no-fuss package.
1 cup flour
¾ cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
½ cup milk
2 tablespoons butter, melted
½ cup water, boiling
2 medium-sized apples, one green and one red
2 tablespoons of brown sugar
1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons cornstarch
⅛ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon of sugar
1 teaspoon of cornstarch
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
Two 5-inch, round baking dishes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Wash and slice apples into ⅛ inch thick slices. Combine with the brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla extract, lemon juice, salt and cornstarch. Mix so every apple is coated. Allow the apples to rest.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, milk and butter. Stir no more than 10 times. Clumps of flour are okay.
- In a small bowl, mix the sugar, cornstarch and cinnamon.
- Equally divide apples into the bottom of the two round baking dishes. Be sure to pour any and all juice from the apples into the baking dishes. Equally divide the batter and pour on top of the apple mixture. Sprinkle topping mixture on both.
- Place the baking dishes in the oven and pour ¼ cup of boiling water over the top of each. This helps to set the batter and make a moist apple filling.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the tops are golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes and serve warm with ice cream.