Recipe of the week: Sous vide steak with roasted potatoes

As election season wraps up, we all could use a special meal. Treat yourself to a filet mignon, cooked to perfection thanks to the power and precision of sous vide cooking. All you need to do is break out your fancy Immersion Circulator or use the sous vide function on your Instant Pot to make the perfect steak — you deserve it.  

Ingredients 

For Steak: 

2 filet mignon steaks  

Grape seed oil (or other high smoke point oil)  

1 stick of butter (room temperature)  

1 shallot, finely diced  

1 1/2 tsp of fresh thyme   

Kosher salt   

Black pepper   

For Potatoes:  

2 russet potatoes, washed and sliced thin 

2 sprigs of rosemary 

4 tbsp of butter 

2 tsp of kosher salt 

4 cloves of garlic, peeled 

Steps  

1) Liberally salt and pepper each side of the steaks. Set the Immersion Circulator (Sous-Vide Machine) to 136 degrees for medium rare. Tip: Set the temperature one degree higher than what you want for best results.  

2) Vacuum seal or place the seasoned steaks in freezer bags and remove air using water displacement. 

3) Place steaks in a sealed bag into the water bath for 1 hour and 45 minutes to 3 hours.

4) While steaks are in the water bath, in a stand mixer, beat the butter with the shallot that has been finely diced and the thyme. Wrap in wax or parchment paper and refrigerate until the steaks are finished. 

5) Combine all the ingredients for the potatoes in a 9-inch-by-13-inch, oven-safe baking dish. Bake the potatoes at 375 degrees for 35 minutes.  

6) Heat a cast iron pan to 500 degrees.  

7) Remove the steaks from the water bath and take out of the bag. Thoroughly pat dry to ensure the best sear.  

8) Add enough oil to barely cover the pan. Add steaks and sear for 90 seconds a side.  

9) Baste the steaks with a tablespoon of the prepared compound butter for the last 30 seconds of searing. Then remove the steaks from heat and rest on a cookie cooling sheet covered with a bowl for 5 minutes.  

10) Serve immediately with roasted potatoes.