Review: 'WandaVision' kicks off new Marvel phase with bang

<p>&nbsp;Wandavision is the latest release from the Marvel franchise. The show is about the adventures of the duo Wanda and Vision.&nbsp;</p>
 Wandavision is the latest release from the Marvel franchise. The show is about the adventures of the duo Wanda and Vision. 

Show: "WandaVision"

Release Date: Jan. 15, 2021

Season(s): 1

Episodes: 3 (out of 9 scheduled)

Genre: Action, sci-fi

Rating: A-

Over a year since its last release, the Marvel franchise has launched its next phase with the brand-new “WandaVision'' show. The Disney+ original, which premiered on Jan. 15, has now released three episodes showing the adventures of the superhero duo Wanda and Vision.

Starting in the 1950s, each episode of the miniseries has explored the couple in a different decade trying to fit into a normal American suburb. The sitcom style of the show, however, is interrupted during each episode with unusual messages and events that have left viewers confused as to what is truly going on. 

Several bizarre moments in the show have hinted to fans that everything is not as it seems. An out-of-place beekeeper, the story rewinding and playing out differently and a break in character are just some of the instances in which the classic television style is pushed aside as the Marvel universe works its way in.

At the center of all the mystery is Elizabeth Olsen, who plays Wanda Maximoff, a witch with the power to manipulate reality, and Paul Bettany, who plays Vision, an android with a synthetic body disguised as a man.

The pair first worked together in “Avengers: Age of Ultron” and have since shown that their chemistry and talent are enough to carry a story of their own.

The unusual style of the show has allowed the actors to try out something completely new. Olsen’s replication of mid-20th century sitcom acting is both humorous and impressive, as Bettany perfectly complements his co-star, making for a great fit.

While the traditional black-and-white sitcom-style of the early episodes might have been enough to turn some viewers away, the third episode came alive with not only color but more action when new clues were given as to what is truly going on in the seemingly normal suburb.

Three episodes are out with six more scheduled to come, every Friday through March 5. Each episode will seemingly reveal more information until the story is pieced together. However, the uncertainty of the show has caused fans to take to social media to share their theories of what is going on and where the story might go.

The Marvel Cinematic Universe has once again created waves, as fans are not only buzzing about the show but dying to see what will happen next. While there are still many unanswered questions, “WandaVision” has already made a name for itself in the extremely successful Marvel franchise.