Recipe: Pumpkin spice syrup

The best time to enjoy pumpkin spice is when the weather begins to cool. Capture the flavors of fall in your mug with this real pumpkin spice syrup. It makes a great addition to your morning cup of coffee — or even try a pumpkin steamer, pumpkin spice chai or a homemade version of the iconic Starbucks pumpkin spice latte. This syrup will bring the best scents of fall to your kitchen.

Ingredients:

• 1/3 cup of brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup of water
  • 1 inch of fresh ginger, peeled
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • 1/3 cup of pumpkin puree 
  • 1/2 tablespoon of ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon of ground ginger
  • 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
  • 7 tablespoons of sweetened condensed milk 

Directions: 

1. Combine brown sugar, water, fresh ginger and the cinnamon stick in a saucepan over low heat. 
  2. Stir until all of the sugar has dissolved. Allow to steep over low heat for three minutes, making sure the mixture does not simmer. Remove the cinnamon stick and fresh ginger. 
  3. Add the pumpkin puree and remaining spices to the sugar mixture. Stir to combine over low heat. 
  4. Once the pumpkin has been thoroughly incorporated and you can smell the spices, remove the pan from the heat.
  5. Add the sweetened condensed milk to the warm pumpkin mixture and stir to combine. 
  6. Transfer your pumpkin spice syrup to a sealable container and refrigerate. 

Note: Add 2 tablespoons of the syrup to a small, strong coffee with warm milk and top with whipped cream and nutmeg to create a copy-cat Starbucks pumpkin spice latte.