Forever to Thee Kids: Dance Marathon remains one of USC's largest philanthropic organizations

<p>2016 Dance Marathon attendees dance in front of the rest of the crowd. Since its inception in 1999, the organization has raised over $7.2 million for the Child Life Program at Prisma Health Children's Hospital- Midlands.&nbsp;</p>
2016 Dance Marathon attendees dance in front of the rest of the crowd. Since its inception in 1999, the organization has raised over $7.2 million for the Child Life Program at Prisma Health Children's Hospital- Midlands. 

The University of South Carolina Dance Marathon (USCDM) is the largest student-run philanthropic organization on campus.

Started in 1999, the organization has seen tremendous growth since it first began in the Russell House Ballroom. Over its tenure at the university, Dance Marathon has raised more than $7.2 million, with plans to keep growing and supporting the local children’s hospital.

The organization's mission every year is to fully fund and spread awareness of the Child Life Program at Prisma Health Children's Hospital-Midlands.

“​​Basically, what the Child Life program does is make their hospital say a little bit easier and a little bit happier,” Ignite director Molly Mitchell said.

The Child Life program specifically focuses on the patients and their families' emotional and developmental needs by helping to educate the children on their diagnoses and treatments and providing them with toys or even pet therapy.

As the organization has expanded, student leaders within Dance Marathon have made the organization more than just the 14-hour Main Event.

<p>Members of Alpha Chi Omega sing and dance in their Dance Marathon gear at the 2017 Dance Marathon.&nbsp;</p>
Members of Alpha Chi Omega sing and dance in their Dance Marathon gear at the 2017 Dance Marathon. 

“We've really focused on developing more of a year-round programming model as opposed to just the 14-hour main event, so that we can have all of our campus connected to a cause,” Megan Laurendeau, president of Dance Marathon, said.

This year-round programming model begins with the campaign reveal. This signifies the start of the year for USCDM and sets a theme and vision for what the year will be. This year's theme is "Every Moment Matters." 

“That's really our energy for the year, is kind of making the most of every single moment,” Mitchell said. “We've lived through a pandemic, but we're also still in one. We don't know when it's going to end. So, we have to make the most of every moment as it comes because the future is very uncertain, and so, we don't know what's going to happen.” 

Previous Dance Marathon campaigns included “Together We Can” in 2021, “More Than” in 2020 and “We Promise” in 2019.

Typically held on the first Monday of October each year, Child Health Day is a national Dance Marathon event that unites all Miracle Network Dance Marathon programs across the country. Each program fundraises and promotes the hospital they support and the Dance Marathon program.

This year, Child Health Day was held on Oct. 4, and USCDM was the top fundraising program in the country. This was an accomplishment celebrated by the hard work and enthusiastic energy of USCDM members. 

Additional signature fundraising events for the organization include "Day of Miracles" in the fall and "Forever to Thee Kids Day" in the spring. Both of these days' goals include getting the campus engaged and sparking a big fundraising push.

“I'm excited to see how we grow,” Laurendeau said. "This year we've seen so much more campus engagement than we ever have ... It's been a really exciting year.”

<p>Dance Marathon participants dance and point along to the lyrics of the song played.</p>
Dance Marathon participants dance and point along to the lyrics of the song played.

The organization ends its year with the Main Event. The Main Event is a 14-hour dance marathon and celebration of the participant's fundraising efforts, according to the USCDM website. Participants also hear from Miracle Families, learn an easy line dance and dress up for theme hours during the main event.

At midnight, USCDM flips the total amount of money raised throughout the year.

These events are organized and created by a team of about 300 people who work together to make an impact on the Prisma Health Children's Hospital-Midlands and the Columbia community, according to vice president of productions Justin Leggin. USCDM staff, the Morale team and the Ignite team are the branches of the organization that makeup what Leggin said they call, “One team, one dream.”

The Morale and Ignite teams are introductory branches of the organization that allow for students to have a better understanding of USCDM and bring new energy to the organization. The Morale team is tasked with teaching the line dance during the Main Event and keeping up morale, while the Ignite team learns more about USCDM and leadership skills.

USCDM first hit $1 million dollars in 2018 and hopes to raise even more this year, Leggin said. Members of the organization are excited about the possibilities this year and feel like the spirit of USCDM is back on campus. 

“The energy ... The energy is unlike anything I’ve ever experienced before with this organization.” Leggin said. “I don't even know how to put into words how positive the atmosphere is."