Column: 6 shows, movies to get you in the fall mood

A clip from The Vampire Diaries is shown on a laptop screen. The Vampire Diaries is a great show to get you in the spirit of fall, according to columnist Julia Goulet.

School starting means that fall (arguably, the best season) is right around the corner. It's time to start binging TV shows and movies with the perfect fall vibe. 

These six shows and movies, ranging from horror shows to kids' movies, always give the perfect fall aesthetic and are guaranteed to prepare you for the season. 

"Gilmore Girls"

"Gilmore Girls" follows a close mom and daughter duo, Lorelai and Rory Gilmore, as the two try to navigate through Lorelai's struggles with being a young single mother and Rory's high school and college experiences. 

It's set in the picture-perfect, small Connecticut town, Stars Hollow, which has its share of quirky characters. The show always seems to be set in the fall with characters in long sleeves and low-rise jeans amidst a background of colorful leaves. This is the perfect show to snuggle up on the couch with a nice hot chai latte, waiting for this Columbia heat to simmer down. 

"American Horror Story" 

"American Horror Story" follows a new creepy and unsettling storyline each season that takes glimpses of reality and morphs it with the morbid and paranormal. 

Season one, Murder House, follows a family that moves into a new house and uncovers the deadly history of the house the hard way. Season three, Coven, shows a home of witches and the competition of who will be the supreme witch. The last season, season six, Roanoke, is a documentary series about a couple's time at an unfortunate house in the haunted forest of Roanoke. 

These seasons give a scary fall vibe to get you into the Halloween mood. 

"10 Things I Hate About You." 

This iconic 2000's teen flick stars Julia Stiles and the late Heath Ledger in an adaptation of William Shakespeare's "The Taming of the Shrew." If Shakespeare represents any season, it's fall. 

With a music score of punk rock and the main characters' color palette of reds and blacks, it's the perfect back-to-school movie. The enemies to lovers, grumpy/sunshine trope shines through and has you rooting for Kat (Stiles' character) to get over her own stubbornness and heal from her past, allowing her to see how many people genuinely do care for her. 

"The Vampire Diaries" 

Nothing screams fall more than vampires, witches and werewolves, oh my! The show follows a recently orphaned Elena Gilbert as she tries to navigate through high school when brothers Damon and Stefan Salvator show up in the historically rich small town of Mystic Falls, Virginia. 

Gilbert finds herself in a love triangle with the brothers and discovers the deadly town she grew up in has much more going for it than being unlucky. This show, like "Gilmore Girls," always has the fall aesthetic and is an excellent show to binge in the fall. 

"Toy Story" 

Fall seems like it should be the season of nostalgia. With seeing your friends again after summer and shows starting again, it's the best time to watch all of our favorite Disney and Pixar movies. 

"Toy Story," as probably many know, follows Woody's story as he watches his human, Andy, fall in love with another toy, Buzz Lightyear. One night when Andy loses his toys, Woody and Buzz must work together to escape the horrible Sid and reunite with Andy. If you need a comfort movie that will probably make you cry by the end, this is it. 

"Pretty Little Liars" 

After it-girl Alison DiLaurentis goes missing and is found dead, her former best friends, Emily Fields, Hanna Marin, Aria Montgomery and Spencer Hastings, are tormented by the mysterious 'A.'

The girls' lives are run by 'A' while they try to figure out what really happened to DiLaurentis. The show has a good balance of mystery and romance. With Halloween around the corner, this is the perfect show to get you thinking and in the fall mood. 

Fall is just around the corner. Take the time for yourself during the busy school week to watch some of these shows and movies to get you in the fall mood.