Letter to the editor: Student Body President Reedy Newton welcomes students back to campus

Hello and welcome home, Gamecocks!

I am excited to welcome you all to campus to begin a new year at our esteemed university. The University of South Carolina is truly a place like no other, and I am so glad that you have decided to make it your home. 

First and foremost, I would like to thank you all for the opportunity to serve as your student body president this year. It is an honor to represent and lead in a position with the capacity to advocate for our students. I am committed to being a voice for all of you, working day in and day out to create the change that we, as a student body, would like to see on our campus.

Over the past few months as student body president, I have worked alongside students, faculty and administration to discuss important issues of academic advising, mental health and the feasibility of developing a new student union. I am so honored to continue the work of the students in the upcoming year. I am so proud of the work of Student Government thus far in working to create a one-stop-shop to support student’s basic needs through food, clothing and school supplies. Over the summer, I had the pleasure of working with the Department of Student Life, welcoming the Class of 2026 during orientation sessions and discussing life as a Gamecock with our new students.

Freshmen, transfer students and those new to the Columbia campus, you might have noticed that you are not the only new face to Carolina this year. Throughout the summer, we welcomed a new President, Dr. Michael Amiridis and a new Executive Vice President of Academic Affairs and Provost, Dr. Donna Arnett. We also will welcome a new Vice President of Student Affairs and Academic Support, Dr. Rex Tolliver, a search in which I contributed a majority of my time to this summer. I can confidently say that these individuals have proven to be student-centric, and I look forward to the exciting changes that this new team of senior leaders will bring to our university. 

With the largest freshman class to date, we are working hard to ensure that every student’s needs are met. Whether that is through adjustments to housing or new dining changes in the Russell House, the university is committed to providing an unparalleled experience for all Gamecocks. I met with President Amiridis to discuss the ways in which he can assess the needs of all students this upcoming fall and I await with pleasure the opportunity for you all to get to know him through many on-campus interactions. 

Whether it is your first semester or your last, I urge you to take full advantage of the many amazing resources and opportunities at your fingertips here at the University of South Carolina. As your student body president, I hope to empower you to take charge of your college experience and make it your own by challenging yourself and engaging in our community. Ask questions in the classroom, join a student organization (or two), work as a student employee, pursue undergraduate research, study abroad — and when the options seem too many or the choices too tough — seek guidance from the faculty, staff and peer mentors who are here to support you. 

I encourage you to stop by the Student Government Office located in Room 227 of the Russell House or email me at sasgpres@mailbox.sc.edu to express your thoughts, ideas, or concerns so that I, too, may be able to support you. Feel free to follow Student Government on Instagram @UofSCSG to keep up to date with all things UofSC Student Government. 

We have an exciting journey ahead of us and I could not be more excited to begin my final year at Carolina as your student body president. Welcome back and welcome home! 

Forever to thee, 

Reedy Newton