Column: USC smash club is a great place for both experienced, new players

<p>A computer screen displays the game over screen that plays following a match in the popular Nintendo game Super Smash Bros on August 29, 2022. USC's Smash Club is a welcoming place for new and experienced players.</p>
A computer screen displays the game over screen that plays following a match in the popular Nintendo game Super Smash Bros on August 29, 2022. USC's Smash Club is a welcoming place for new and experienced players.

USC's Smash Club allows players with experience in tournament play to provide advice and a welcoming environment to both advanced players and newcomers. Any smash players attending USC should join.

Super Smash Bros., which the club plays, is a fighting game series that allows players to fight each other as iconic video game characters such as Mario and Sonic. 

One of the biggest appeals of the smash club is the tournament experience of many of its players — one of whom is ranked number 10 in the state — so the Smash Club is the place to go if you want a challenge.

"It was a lot of people in one room, a lot of really good players in one room," Alex Lofton, a fourth-year music performance student, said. 

Players of that level being there to help less advanced players improve have proven to be very helpful. The assistance given by experienced players is further complimented by the club hosting weekly tournaments in the Honors College. 

Although that advice is targeted more toward players who frequent tournaments and have already begun their journey into the competition, the club is completely open to teaching new players.

"That's the whole point of the club, is for new players to come and practice with more veteran players," Nick Dorian, a fourth-year chemistry student, said. 

This along with a robust discord server which players often go to ask for advice and schedule meetups to practice provides players with a supportive community that has been helpful to players who don't possess the aforementioned competitive experience. 

"When you're playing against people better than you, they know a whole lot more about the game than you, so that's the best way you can improve," Dan Hancock, a physics graduate student, said.

This advice can range from general tips to more niche ones such as controller preference and the input delay associated with different kinds of controllers. One example of this is Lofton noting that GameCube controllers wouldn't deal with input delay because they are wired to the console rather than a wireless connection that experiences interference.

However, if the glory of standing atop tournament stages isn't your desire and you just want to play with and meet new friends, the Smash Club is still the perfect place for you. 

"It's high-level gameplay, but they still are here to have a good time. They're welcoming to new players and they just want everybody to have fun," Hancock said.

Super Smash Bros. is one of the most popular games in the history of the genre, and the love for the game is just as passionate at USC's Smash Club. Given its welcoming atmosphere, helpful members and competitive experience, USC's Smash Club serves as a home to any smasher on campus who chooses to join. Casual, competitive or if you are completely new, there's something for all players to enjoy.