USC, Columbia police look to encourage safe walking practices after pedestrian-driver collisions

<p>Student pedestrians cross the intersection of Greene and Sumter Streets on April 5, 2023. This intersection is often one of the busiest on campus and is often jaywalked by students despite frequent traffic.</p>
Student pedestrians cross the intersection of Greene and Sumter Streets on April 5, 2023. This intersection is often one of the busiest on campus and is often jaywalked by students despite frequent traffic.

Ever since third-year neuroscience, cognitive and behavioral student Alexandria Hall collided with a vehicle when riding her bike in 2022, she has now "opted to walk most days."

Hall said that, as a cyclist, Gervais, Assembly, and Sumter Streets can be most dangerous. 

“I literally only pay attention to street signs when it’s a dangerous area or I feel like I’m in danger," Hall said. "I know those street names by heart because every time I cross them, it’s scary.” 

Two local Columbia pedestrian-vehicle related accidents occurred this past March. One at the intersection of Blossom and Sumter Streets involved two students, according to USC spokesperson Jeff Stensland. 

The second happened on Gervais Street and sent the pedestrian to the hospital in critical condition. Columbia Police Department investigators attributed the accident to the pedestrian’s unlawful presence in the roadway and neglect to use the marked crosswalk. 

CPD Traffic Safety Unit Sgt. Robert Uhall said Blossom and Sumter Streets are marked as areas that have had more than one pedestrian collision in the past five years. 

However, these accidents are not as frequent as they seem, according to Uhall. Less than 1% of crashes in the city of Columbia during the last five years involved a pedestrian. 

Between 2018 and 2022, Uhall said there has been minimal change in the percentage of accidents in the city involving pedestrians from year to year. However, the severity of these collisions in the city have worsened, he said. 

Local law enforcement officials and the university said the lack of awareness and distraction on the roads from drivers, pedestrians and cyclists alike, especially with mobile devices, is a large contributor to these types of accidents. 

Stensland said USC has previously posted signs on traffic boxes around campus and on sidewalks to remind students to be aware of their surroundings.  

“That seems like a very simple thing that you learn, most people learn, as a child, but with the prevalence of smartphones and earpods, pedestrians unfortunately are more distracted and not always paying attention to their surroundings,” Stensland said. 

The university is always looking for ways to continue to support traffic safety, including encouraging drivers and pedestrians to "be more present and aware," Stensland said. 

Uhall said this lack of awareness, particularly with cell phones, can lead to fatal results and compound the severity of collisions, no matter who is to blame. 

“It’s not going to have any sort of solace to be found at fault or not at fault, contributing or not contributing in a collision if you’re seriously injured or killed,” Uhall said. 

Uhall also said pedestrian-driver collisions almost always occur outside of crosswalks or at mid-block crosswalks.

<p>A student crosses the street on the intersection of Sumter and Greene Streets while a shuttle attempts to turn on April 5, 2023. This intersection is often one of the busiest on campus and is often jaywalked by students despite frequent traffic.</p>
A student crosses the street on the intersection of Sumter and Greene Streets while a shuttle attempts to turn on April 5, 2023. This intersection is often one of the busiest on campus and is often jaywalked by students despite frequent traffic.

Despite this, Stensland said students shouldn’t be wary about walking or cycling on or around campus as the university is looking to make campus more bike friendly by creating some additional bike lanes.

“We would hate for people to get discouraged about navigating campus in a more, number one, more eco-friendly way, but also in a way that helps reduce the vehicular traffic,” Stensland said. 

Stensland and Hall said there are actions the average citizen can take to improve the prospects of pedestrian and cyclist safety in the city. 

Uhall said pedestrians should cross at designated crosswalks. 

“At least then you’re in a location where a driver should expect to see you,” Uhall said. 

Stensland said drivers should "slow down a little bit" and "recognize that there are a lot of students on foot." 

Through practicing this advice, people can ensure pedestrian and cyclist safety, according to Uhall.

“As long as you’re using the sidewalks and crosswalks appropriately and aware of your surroundings, Columbia is a gentle place — especially in the campus area,” Uhall said.