Playlist: Echoes of a student newsroom

Do you ever wonder what the person sitting next to you in class or at the dining hall is listening to? While you might be jamming out to your favorite rock group, someone else is having a main character moment with Lana Del Rey. 

This summer, our newsroom senior staffers took a step back from reporting and investigating the Columbia area and found their new favorite artists while reminiscing with old-time favorites. Here’s a peek into the headphones of The Daily Gamecock's editorial staff.

Management 

The management team makes sure to keep the vibes up at all times while listening to some feel-good upbeat artists. 

Editor-in-Chief Sydney Dunlap, as well as Managing Editors Kate Robins and Will Kronsberg all are big Swifties, so we are certain they are counting down the days until they can play 1989 (Taylor’s Version) throughout the newsroom.

Creative Director Savannah Nagy also favors the feel-good pop vibe but leans towards the likes of Hippo Campus and The Avett Brothers.

News 

Much like the articles it covers, the news team listened to a pretty wide range of artists.

Assistant News Editor Riley Edenbeck and Infrastructure Beat Writer Emma Davisson shared a mutual love for Zach Bryan, while News Editor Emmy Ribero preferred the likes of The Vaccines. 

Don’t worry though, the news team has some Swifties with both Crime Beat Writer Cait Dee and Student Government Beat Writer Marley Bassett favoring the iconic singer. However, Assistant News Editor Win Hammond dabbles in a more alternative style of music, as his favorite artists is Mach-Hommy and Boldy James. And as for State and City Politics Beat Writer Eva Flowe, she prefers Ethel Cain and Beyoncé.

Sports 

When they're not covering Gamecock sporting events, you may find the majority of the sports team listening to rap and R&B music. Sports editor Jacob Phillips loves the music of J. Cole, while Assistant Sports Editor Griffin Goodwyn gravitates towards the recent albums from Travis Scott and Post Malone.

Assistant Sports Editor Will Kelly is the true wild card of the team as he brings some indie vibes into the sports section, with his favorites being flipturn and Hippo Campus.

The sports beat writers all have a taste of their own. Ky Villegas is partial to R&B powerhouses Chase Atlantic and The Weeknd, whereas Annie Poteat sides with the Swities of the newspaper staff, but also enjoys Zack Bryan. And to round out our rap fans, Emma Edwards is a fan of 21 Savage and Drake. 

Arts and Culture

The arts and culture team brings in quite the range between the two arts editors.

Arts and Culture Editor Amanda Petty favors slow, sad melodies with the likes of Hozier, Frank Ocean, Big Thief and Lucy Dacus, while Assistant Arts and Culture Editor Catherine Pruitt goes for a much more upbeat rock vibe with the sounds of Arctic Monkeys, Fontaines D.C and Inhaler.

Opinion

Our opinion team's job is to have an opinion about everything, and music is no exception.

While Opinion Editor Varsha Gowda is a fan of Flo Milli and Dominic Fike, Assistant Opinion Editor Mary Carson Buffaloe is a loyal Swiftie but has recently gotten into Dominic Fike as well.

Design

Design Director Gillian Thomas is a big K-pop stan, with her favorites being NCT Dream, SHINee and NCT 127, while Assistant Design Director Callie Hribar keeps the international flair going with her favorite artist being Italian rock group Måneskin.

Senior Designer Clay Laucella takes on a wide range of genres, but mostly favors rock, with his favorite artists being Arctic Monkeys, Mac Miller and Deftones.

Photo

The photo team’s creative vision is reflected in the tunes of its favorite artist, with genres ranging from folk to pop and more.

Co-Photo Editor Sam Schorr is a big fan of the electronic Hippie Sabotage, as well as Curtis King. Senior Photographer Taylor Kitchens has been in a folk mood lately, as she has been into Hozier and Mt. Joy. Doing a 180, Senior Photographer Xavier Martin enjoys A Day To Remember and Midland.

It feels like a section isn’t complete without a Swftie, and Co-Photo Editor Alicia Caracciolo takes the crown. 

Copy Desk

Our copy team has one of the most diverse music tastes of our editorial staff. 

Copy Desk Chief Ava Rossini leads the copy crew with her favorite artists being Taylor Swift and Lana Del Rey, the ultimate girl power musicians. 

Assistant Copy Desk Chief Jessica Proulx enjoys a lot of rap music from artists such as Metro Boomin and Kendrick Lamar, while fellow Assistant Copy Desk Chief Bridget Tracy leans towards some alternative music with the likes of Milky Chance, Mt. Joy and Liam Gallagher.

Senior Copy Editor Addison Scott rounds out the team with her favorite artists Big Thief, Tyler, the Creator and the Cocteau Twins.

Engagement 

Being active on social media sites proves to reflect in their music taste. The engagement team, much like management, keeps up the positive vibes in its section constantly. 

Co-Engagement Director Julia Lako is a big fan of indie rockers Vista Kicks and The Backseat Lovers but also slow, melodic sounds of Frank Ocean. Co-Engagement Director Lauren Larsen has had The Chicks and Zack Bryan on repeat. 

Senior Content Creator Elena Keller has been big into a more folk vibe and is liking Hozier and Florence + The Machine, and Assistant Engagement Director Anna Ottinger is a frequent passenger on the Noah Kahan train.

While all members of our engagement squad have their own unique favorites, the four of them can all agree that pop music is one of their most listened to genres.