Recipe: Dill pickle pizza

<p>A dill pickle pizza goes goes into the oven before being cooked for 20 minutes on Oct. 29, 2023. Arts and culture writer Jamie Alatzas shares a recipe for the new South Carolina State Fair favorite.</p>
A dill pickle pizza goes goes into the oven before being cooked for 20 minutes on Oct. 29, 2023. Arts and culture writer Jamie Alatzas shares a recipe for the new South Carolina State Fair favorite.

Each year, the South Carolina State Fair attracts foodies from all around the state to come into Columbia to get their yearly fix of fair food. From the turkey legs to donut dogs, theres something one-of-a-kind for everyone's tastebuds. 

But this year, a peculiar new food item took center stage — dill pickle pizza. Although the dill pickle pizza may have been more expensive than the average pizza slice at the fair, it’s not hard to recreate with a few simple ingredients and takes only 30 minutes to an hour to make.

Whether you already miss the fair being in town or are just a pickle enthusiast, here is a recipe to pickle lovers will be unable to resist.

Cook Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients:

- 1 clove of garlic (smashed) or 1/2 teaspoon of minced garlic

- ¾ cup of sour cream

- ¼ cup of mayonnaise

- Fresh dill

- Pinch of salt

- Pinch of pepper

- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice

- Pizza dough of your preference

- Dill pickles (sliced)

- Mozzarella cheese

Cooking Instructions:

1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Mix together the garlic, sour cream, mayonnaise, salt, pepper, lemon juice and fresh dill to make a garlic sauce. This will be the base for your pizza.
  3. Roll out your pizza dough and place it onto a baking sheet or pan.
  4. Spread your garlic sauce evenly across the dough.
  5. Add some chopped pickles on top of the sauce.
  6. Top it off with mozzarella cheese.
  7. Sprinkle some fresh dill and a few more pickles on top.
  8. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the crust is golden and cheese has melted.
  9. Enjoy!