Playlist: House? The music genre, not the building!

Hailing from its origins in the 1980s, house music, like many other niche sub genres, has had a massive resurgence thanks to social media.

House music took its first steps in the underground clubbing culture in Chicago, deriving from the re-emergence of 1970s disco and taking influence from the ever-popular R&B genre. Throughout the 1980s and into the 1990s, house further evolved after a shift to more electronic music production methods. The name “house” originated from a popular Chicago club called the Warehouse, where it is thought that the genre first took off.

Characterized by its “four-on-the-floor” rhythm and lively 120-130 beats per minute, house music keeps the party going with its high-energy, easy-to-dance-to tracks. Modern artists, such as Starjunk 95 and DR. GABBA have carved their own path. They tap into nostalgia and blend it with the iconic rhythms of house to create a sound fueling the flame of the resurgence of the genre.

Put on those headphones and take an auditory stroll through this playlist that will be sure to leave your head banging and your foot tapping.

“Groove District” — Starjunk 95

“Googoo Lagoon” — DR. GABBA

“watchyaback!” — wev 

“Where Love Lives - Radio Edit” — Alison Limerick, Frankie Knuckles, David Morales

“hero” — wev

“We Are Phuture - Carl Cox & Steve Ward Mix” — DJ Pierre, Carl Cox, Steve Ward, Phuture

“Back at the indo” — STLLA

“Gypsy Woman (She's Homeless) (La Da Dee La Da Da) - Basement Boy Strip To The Bone Mix” — Crystal Waters, The Basement Boys

“powerstar” — wev

“Fixed Grooves” — SOXX, ga2b

“Oh My Days” — JACK MARLOW, DJ Burrito Boy

“Use the Card” — Ren Carter

“July’s Barley” — Flori

“Turn the Sound Up” — Klaus Veen

“You & I” — TXKA

“Sexy Lil’ Thing” — Dj Streaks

“Planet Piano” — DR. GABBA

“GO!” — GEE LEE

“Stardust Circuit” — Starjunk 95

“Lately” — Kobe JT

“CLUB DRIFT” — DM 90

“Gimme It All” — Wilks

“The Word Is Love - Silk's Anthem 7 Inch Mix” — Sharon Pass, Steve “Silk” Hurley

“Pineapple Crush” — Lone

“House Music” — Gaston Ramos