Student organization helps train service dogs, gives members outlet for stress

<p>Camden, a dog trained by Cocky's Canine Palmetto Animal Assisted Living Services, is pictured in a sitting position. The club is a non-profit organization at the University of South Carolina that assists with training service dogs to complete tasks that help people in their day-to-day lives.</p>
Camden, a dog trained by Cocky's Canine Palmetto Animal Assisted Living Services, is pictured in a sitting position. The club is a non-profit organization at the University of South Carolina that assists with training service dogs to complete tasks that help people in their day-to-day lives.

A student organization is bringing students and four-legged friends together to make an impact on the USC community.

Cocky's Canine Palmetto Animal Assisted Living Services is a non-profit organization that helps train dogs to assist people with a variety of conditions, including autism and post-traumatic stress disorder. Students help out by working with and training the service dogs. 

The dogs are taught how to open and close doors, alert for help, apply deep pressure relief on a person's legs or lie on someone’s lap.The behaviors help people with PTSD deal with stress and anxiety, according to the club's website.

Students can get involved by training, walking, grooming and playing with the dogs. The organization also puts on events, such as a Halloween-themed fundraiser "Paaloween," to raise money for the service dogs and the organization.

Second-year international studies and Spanish student Amelia Predmore has been a part of the organization since the second semester of her first year at school.  She volunteers at the club on Fridays from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. to help train the dogs. 

“(The club is) a great way to get to see dogs," Predmore said. "I miss my dogs from home a lot. Getting to work with (people) and help train some dogs and even just doing playtime or recess or whatever with the dogs in the backyard is lots of fun.

Third-year liberal arts student Lilly Carter found out about the organization during her second year on campus. She enjoys seeing the dogs that finish the program the most, she said

”I went to (the club's graduation ceremony) last year and it was awesome because they have the people who are taking the dogs, they come and they share their stories,” Carter said. "It's just really moving to see these people get up and speak as to how much these dogs help them in their everyday life." 

morenews.png

Lolly, a yellow lab, is one of the dogs Carter saw pass the test and graduate from the program. Carter said Lolly would get frustrated when other puppies would bite her or rough house during recess.

"It's really funny to see personalities that the dogs have. Because (Lolly), you could tell that she was an adult dog," Carter said.

Lolly went on to help a person with a mobility condition, and it was a perfect match, Carter said.

But only a small percentage of dogs complete the program because they are not able to pass the test.

Brian, a golden retriever, didn't graduate because he was anxious when he was in crowds. But Carter said Brian still went on to help a different family in need.

Third-year neuroscience student Megan Rozier has been part of the organization for three years and said she appreciates the minimal commitment and how much fun it is to play with the dogs.

She said hanging out with the dogs relieves stress, and she has made a lot of friends through the organization, who have gotten closer because of it.

The club will be doing another fundraiser week during finals season to continue to help provide for the service dogs, Rozier said.

"We're doing (the fundraiser) at a pretty good time, right around finals," Rozier said. "We're selling things like energy drinks, just so that way they can have something on campus that is cheap and that will help them study."

For more information on Cocky's Canine PAALS, check out its Garnet Gate.