Column: Progress has been made, but gender equality still critical issue

If you ask someone if they consider themselves a feminist, you’ll probably hear no more often than yes.

Even at a liberal university like ours, people shy away from the term because it conjures up images of bra-burning, man-hating lesbians from the ’70s.

Connotations aside, the real definition of a feminist is someone who advocates social, political, legal and economic rights of women to equal those of men — not someone who hates men or wants to bring them down.

And since the feminist movement of the ’70s, with legislation like the Equal Pay Act and wider acceptance of birth control, some argue that feminism isn’t necessary anymore, that equality has been reached.

But is that really true? Last week, a classmate and I held a bake sale with prices that reflected the pay gap in our country (prices corresponding to what people typically earn according to their socioeconomic status and sexuality). White straight men were the baseline price of $1, with only Asian men paying more at $1.20, and with white straight women only having to pay $0.78.

No doubt a bargain on a cookie, but a bleak reality for any woman, minority or LGBT person in America.

Which raises the question: Why the disparity? Perhaps it’s because the difference between men and women is subconsciously conditioned in us every day by our media.

In some magazine ads, women are depicted in a vulnerable position, their bodies limply hanging on some object or not even whole, but featuring only some of their limbs or physical characteristics.
On the other hand, men get to dominantly stand in the forefront with their hands on their hips or gripping their ties, turned toward the camera, ready for business.

Of course, if a woman isn’t displayed as weak then she’s usually the object of desire, often in a demeaning manner. Her mouth might be covered, her head isn’t on the page or she’s wearing close to nothing.

This might be passable in high fashion, but if a woman in the real world wants to step out looking like the models she sees in advertisements, she’s instantly objectified. Similarly, her mouth is covered, and her head is cut off the page — metaphorically, of course. She becomes her body parts rather than her thoughts or capabilities.

I’ve written about this before, but I think it’s a point that can use a little reiteration. It’s extremely difficult for a woman, even in 2014, to be considered more than the sum of her parts. If she is intelligent and successful in business, she’s considered bossy. If she’s done anything sexual, she’s completely unfit for the business world. And even if she has the same qualifications and education as a man, she’s destined to earn less than he does.

I’ve noticed some cool bits of pop culture lately, like Pharell’s performance of “GIRL” on Saturday Night Live featuring an all-female orchestra or the fact that SNL has finally hired a black female cast member.

But if it’s taken a late night TV show this long to hire equally, it looks like feminism and feminists are still necessary.