Column: USC should value graduates over speakers

Graduation is a time where students who have dedicated years to developing knowledge and talent are given the spotlight to highlight their achievements. Often times, friends and family from across the country fly in to show their support for graduates in honor of this special day in their lives. Unfortunately, the May 9 ceremony has proven itself to be more about the speaker lineup and showing off USC than the students participating.

After speaking with the registrar on Monday, a representative explained to me that students graduating on Friday, May 9 will only have four tickets per graduate due to Joe Biden’s appearance. Additionally, students will have to turn in their chosen four individuals’ names on April 24-25 for background checks prior to the event. Will the background checks be done in time for graduation? Or will guests just have to show up and hope to be cleared? When this whole ordeal would have been announced is anybody’s guess, but it’s already on short notice as it is.

According to the registrar’s website, “more information will be provided closer to the ceremony.” This should have been done the day the speaker lineup was announced. Students shouldn’t be finding this out 3 weeks before graduation after their invitations have been sent and other arrangements made. While rarely at the forefront of any decision, graduating students should have been considered and at least notified prior to inviting relatives from around the country to attend the ceremony. When were we to be notified? Many families have already purchased plane tickets, hotel rooms and taken off work to attend. Is USC going to refund the money for these people? Unlike the Carolinian Creed, which we’re told to follow, this demonstrates an extreme lack of respect and disregard for the students who make USC what it is. For myself, I’ve spent 6 years and over $100,000 to finally reach the day where I receive my diploma. My family will be traveling from Pennsylvania to see me walk across the stage. It would have been nice to know beforehand that only four of them should have asked off from work to attend.

Regardless of political ideology, it is cool to say the sitting Vice President spoke at your graduation. But certainly this is no charitable event. There is no telling how many thousands of dollars USC will pay to have him speak, on top of the taxpayer money spent for his private jet to get him here. Who knows what other expense-paid arrangements have been made. Having him as a speaker will detract from the entire purpose of the event, which is to honor graduating students. Thousands of other upcoming graduates including me will now have to make a decision as to who is allowed to attend. And unlike the speaker, many graduates will be paying to park. This is not the Vice President’s event, nor is it a time to bring USC publicity. Graduation is supposed to be for graduating students and their families. Period. If students have to make allowances for the Vice President, why are there no allowances made for us?

Last year, tickets were first come, first serve. This is as it should be because it is a day for graduates, and people close to them should be able to attend. It saddens me that families now cannot enjoy their loved one’s graduation due to disrespect shown toward those who will be walking on Friday.